Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/30/2003 7:55:31 AM EDT
First off, thanks for looking

From a standpoint of cost, am I better off buying a completed upper half or assembling my own? I own most of the tools already (barrel wrench, vise, torque wrench) and presumably would only need an action block and assembly paste. I've got a set of headspace gauges on the way.

Where specifically should I start looking for parts? I'm working on some new stripped lowers but haven't given much thought to the uppers yet. I've poked around on the EE but I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet.

Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:14:43 AM EDT
I too am interested in seeing the price difference--even though I would have to buy most of those tools before I could do it. Since you already own the tools, my [i]guess[/i] is that it would be cheaper; although I believe that the main advantage to building your own may be that you can decide [u]exactly[/u] what you do or do not want on your upper.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:21:53 AM EDT
Option 1: Complete Bushmaster Upper: $535 Option 2: Assemble it yourself with BM parts: $505 Option 3: Bushmaster barrel ($200), RRA upper ($90), RRA carrier group ($100), RRA charging handle ($15): $405. I'd always go the third route. You save $130, and IMHO there is no quality difference.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:57:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By imposter: Option 1: Complete Bushmaster Upper: $535 Option 2: Assemble it yourself with BM parts: $505 Option 3: Bushmaster barrel ($200), RRA upper ($90), RRA carrier group ($100), RRA charging handle ($15): $405. I'd always go the third route. You save $130, and IMHO there is no quality difference.
View Quote
DITTO, option 3 is what I like to do. I get the chrome-lined Bushmaster barrel and all other quality parts w/o high price for a lot less.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 2:19:06 PM EDT
This [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=172397]thread[/url] is about assembling a whole rifle, but the idea is the same - building it yourself doesn't save a whole lot, but you get exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:21:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:10:04 PM EDT
Thanks for the help guys. I have four stripped lowers and lower parts kits on the way to my FFL. Originally they were intended for my father's PD but since building wasn't feasible for him I decided to just keep them for myself. I have too many other projects going on at the moment but when the dust settles over the next few months I'd like to try my hand at assembly. I've been slowly gathering the tools over the past month or two because I would like to become proficient enough to rebarrel my current rifles and assemble my own uppers. I'm learning my way around the lower pretty well, but the upper is still a mystery. The good news is that if I screw up one of my shooting buddies is an armorer so I can ask him to check my work before I blow myself up on the range.
Top Top