Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2003 2:32:07 PM EDT
Just picked up an SR15 Match from Cal's Sporting Armory in CO.  Had it shipped to me, when I received it, I noticed that the RAS has a nasty purple tint to it and that the RAS is slightly bent to one side!  Is this indicative of the quality control KAC has or a fluke that left the shop?  First thing Monday I'm calling KAC to see if I need to send the entire upper back or just the RAS for replacement.  Anyone see anything like this before?

--Keith

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I see a bit of purple on my KAC 300M and front sling adapter, no big deal.  The bent RAS is though, see if they'd do an advanced exchange.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
My older numbered RAS is a bit purple, my new FFRAS is not.  Purple stuff does bug me a bit, but I live with it.  If you're not happy you shouldn't have to.  A bend is unacceptable.  These are $300 handguards for Christs sake!  I can remember buying "Colt fat M4" handguards years ago and thinking "damn these are expensive".
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Upon removing the RAS and putting it back on, the bend seems to have been self corrected.  Hopefully this is the case and not my eyes being out of whack -- though when I measure the distance between the BBL and inside of the RAS, I still had a .004" variance on one side.  I have 20/20 vision, but I doubt I can pick .004" out!  Before the bend was visible when sighting down the top of the RAS.

As for the finish issue, it will soon see a blasting and subsequent refinish in KG Gun-Kote.  

Thanks for the info for those who responded!

--Keith
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That's even more scary.  If it lines up now odds are the barrel nut was never fully torqued down.  That is a hard thing to screw up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
.004 variation, holly shit, that is unaceptable, as most barrels are way more out of wack than that hand guard, and we expect it.
Consider your self very lucky.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]
My short FF RAS also has a slight purple tint to it. I decided to cover it with a bunch of accesories so you can't even see the RAS anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top