Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/24/2003 6:04:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2003 6:07:52 AM EDT by imposter]
All of the picatinny type gas blocks are screwed on rather than pinned on like the original front sight base. My question is how durable are these things? If just a couple screws are holding on your gas block, it seems like the thing would fly off or at least move and effect your zero if you had a front flip-up installed.

Anybody ever had any problems with screwed on gas blocks?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:14:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2003 7:14:27 AM EDT by spider]
As long as the fasteners are properly secured, you shouldn't have any problems. My Armalite AR10 utilizes a gas block like this, & the PRI flip up front sight is also attached to the barrel similarly. No problems w/ either. Of course, neither of these rifles has ever seen true combat (& I hope to keep it that way) but I have seen "fielded" AR10s that use front sight bases that were screwed together. & of course, the PRI is in use by our brave brothers as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:23:48 AM EDT
I have used a Yankee Hill three rail block and have fired @2000 orunds with no loosening. I have a four rail block on one now, also from Yankee Hill, that has not moved after 500 rounds. My RRA varmint uppers also have set screw mounted gas blocks. They have not seen near as many rounds, but they have held with no problems, eveb though they only have two screws, vs. the three set screws of the Yankee Hill pieces.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:34:57 AM EDT
Do the Yankey Hill and RRA gas blocks have screws that go all the way through to the other side, acting essentially as bolts clamping the gas block to the barrel?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:51:53 AM EDT
I have a PRI front sight on my rifle. The 2-set screw model requires removeal of a lot of barrel steel and it made me uncomfortable, though it is very very strong. I recently bought a 4 set screw model that doesn't require modifications to install. The sight bas was very hard to level and I don't know if it looks as strong as the original but supposedly the Crane SPR's are being made with the new 4 set screw model (probably to prevent the slight increase in barrel harmonics caused by the two large channels that had to be milled into the barrel to install the older unit. I don't know if it is quite as strong or not. I haven't used it much yet. But all it does on my Dissy is provide a front sight. (It does not act as the gas block or handguard cap holder.) SO worst comes to worst all I lose is a sight. [b]I am, however, running a KAC low profile gas block and that also is set screwed. It is a very tight fit to the barrel and the set screws fit into very shallow recesses drilled into the barrel. I think it is very sturdy the only thing in a worst case scenario I can envision is the loctite melting and the setscrews loosening. But I doubt that will happen (I used permanent loctite blue and really torqued the screws down tight (Loctite may have been completely unneccessary.)[/b]
Top Top