Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 8:56:48 PM EDT
I just mounted my ARMS 51 on my Bushy A2. I noticed the handguard cap rubs on the ARMS 51. Nine O'Clock position. Does anyone out there have the same problem? I'm not going to use the standard handguards, so I clearanced (bent) the cap to clear the ARMS 51. I know that ARMS makes quality products, could this be caused by the Bushy A2 upper? When mounted on a different A2, Bushy, it still rubbed. I also have an ARMS 39, and when mounted on my A2 it does not line up with the front sight tower. I don't believe that ARMS would send me 2 different mounts that were both out of spec. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:20:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kaliforniapostban: I just mounted my ARMS 51 on my Bushy A2. I noticed the handguard cap rubs on the ARMS 51. Nine O'Clock position. Does anyone out there have the same problem? I'm not going to use the standard handguards, so I clearanced (bent) the cap to clear the ARMS 51. I know that ARMS makes quality products, could this be caused by the Bushy A2 upper? When mounted on a different A2, Bushy, it still rubbed. I also have an ARMS 39, and when mounted on my A2 it does not line up with the front sight tower. I don't believe that ARMS would send me 2 different mounts that were both out of spec. Thanks for any help.
View Quote
I had the same problem, and posted a reply detailing how I worked this situation in your thread in the Optics section. Chris
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:58:33 PM EDT
Please send me some pictures close ups of your set ups,Im thinking of setting my new project up like this.Is it heavy?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:10:02 PM EDT
Dont feel bad, I put a RAS 2 on my 16" bushmaster upper and the front hand guard caps and the front of the RAS2 has a 3/16 to a 1/4"gap,not much to worry about,but this is my pride n joy,but what are you going do?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:58:14 PM EDT
I have seen carry handles from Colt slightly out of alignment, I have seen barrels from various makers out of alighnment, so it's anyones guess why it hits the cap a bit. Let us all know how it shoots with the optic way out there compaired to the irons. Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:34:41 PM EDT
I have the HBAR and with the 51 it is heavy. I'm running the aimpoint M2 and the arms 22m68. I havent been to the range yet, but I used to have the arms 39, and really liked the way it shot. I'll post some pics as soon as I can, including the nearly folded handguard cap.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:52:59 PM EDT
I have seen a #51 that was tightened too much where the cross bar is. Try re installing and do not tighten that lower front cross bar so much. DO IT NOW!:-) Jack
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:38:44 PM EDT
I just removed and reinstalled my 51. Even with the front crossbar loose, it still is misaligned. I'm not too concerned, my #39 used to do the same thing. One quick question, do I really need to loctite the barrel yoke screws? I used the loctite on the initial install, should I go back and re loctite them? Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:46:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kaliforniapostban: I just removed and reinstalled my 51. Even with the front crossbar loose, it still is misaligned. I'm not too concerned, my #39 used to do the same thing. One quick question, do I really need to loctite the barrel yoke screws? I used the loctite on the initial install, should I go back and re loctite them? Thanks for the info.
View Quote
I would loctite all screws on the SIR. On my #45 I skipped loctite on the barrel clamp screws, and they came loose. Chris
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:52:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FLORIDABOY: Please send me some pictures close ups of your set ups,Im thinking of setting my new project up like this.Is it heavy?
View Quote
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pca64a97d1d111fe6ef96f8b690497b27/fc404f62.jpg[/img] You'll notice the weight difference between the HBAR and M4 barrels, that's for sure. Chris
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:16:37 AM EDT
I posted pictures of the modification I did on my #51 here: [url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=172822&page=1[/url] Chris
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:18:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kaliforniapostban: I just removed and reinstalled my 51. Even with the front crossbar loose, it still is misaligned. I'm not too concerned, my #39 used to do the same thing. One quick question, do I really need to loctite the barrel yoke screws? I used the loctite on the initial install, should I go back and re loctite them? Thanks for the info.
View Quote
My #51 was straight with the crossbar was loose, then the front end would move to the right as you tighted down on the crossbar. Drove me f*%kin' NUTS! Chris
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:31:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/25/2003 8:35:35 AM EDT by Green0]
"Dont feel bad, I put a RAS 2 on my 16" bushmaster upper and the front hand guard caps and the front of the RAS2 has a 3/16 to a 1/4"gap,not much to worry about,but this is my pride n joy,but what are you going do?" [b]No offense but that was exactly the way the KAC product was designed to mount (with a gap although your gap may be excessive). The gap on mine was about 1/16in and it was a Bushy too. It has to have a gap to free-float the barrel. If your gap is really 3/16in to 1/4 in you probably have an out of spec barrel. The RAS's are all the same size. KAC quality control is better than BM[/b] My ARMS #45 did the same thing. (I took a dremel to the front of the SIR and removed about .050in of material and then it floated.) My gun shot horrible untill I fixed that (like 2MOA at 100yds.) After the fix it shot 1/2MOA.
Top Top