Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2003 12:48:58 AM EDT
I have a SPR clone with a Gen III forend and I noticed that the barrel was not in the middle of the forend when looking at it from the front. The barrel looks canted to the left less than 1/8" maybe. This can't be normal right? How about other forends?

I disassembled it down to the nut (I don't have a proper tool yet) and it looks like everything is flush and tight. I'm thinking maybe the tube was bonded crooked or the upper is machined wrong...

Anyway, I'm looking for user opinions. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:40:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like or it is?  Get a measuring device first.  If it is indeed out of whack, get a straight edge to determine whats bad.  get a stiff metal yard stick or something similar and butt it up against the side of the upper running parallel up the length of the handguard and then bbl.  

It shouldnt be too difficult to figure out what aint plum.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You can definitely tell that the barrel is not in the middle of the tube. The actual difference doesn't seem like much though (about a 3/32 difference).

With the tube mounted the barrel is closest at 8 o'clock and farthest at the 2 o'clock position. I then took the tube off and stood it on a level surface with the threaded aluminum end down. I placed a square next to it to check around the outside. The threaded aluminum end is square but at the opposite front end it was not. At 2 o'clock it was leaning towards the square and at 8 o'clock it was leaning away. Still about 3/32 (I don't have a real caliper yet just the plastic one[:|]). Which leads me to believe that the tube was bonded canted 3/64ths off center.

[?]: Should I worry about this?
    Does it affect accuracy?
    Am I being to anal?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
It wont affect accurracy but for the money you paid, youre not being anal enough.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are spending the money to have your rifle done up right, it should be done up right. I would follow MSTN's advice and contact PRI.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Will do.

Thank You Guys.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep us updated too with how they handled it.  

I just got a compact Acog back from Trijicon.  Although it took awhile, their customer service was fantastic.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have seen barrels that were not square (in alighnment) with ehe receiver, but the windage corrected it all. There may be nothing wrong with the straite tube, so consider that too.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Kisara and anybody else who's interested

I e-mailed PRI from their website last night and received an e-mail from them time stamped at 5:08 AM. [:D] Cool... Basically they would hold a replacement tube for me if I decided that I wanted to exchange it. No problem. Truthfully I didn't know what to expect but I am very impressed with PRI's customer service.

3rdtk-Yea. I wasn't sure if it was the upper or the tube so I took the tube off but not the barrel or retainer nut. Then I stood the tube up on it's threaded end holding a square next to it slowly turning it around but keeping the square in place. I could plainly see that at one certain point the top end of tube would get close to the square and 180 degrees from that point it was at it's farthest point from the square.

I will be sending my tube out to PRI and they can check it out themselves. Thanks people for the help. I'll post again when I hear from PRI but thanks to Dave at PRI for responding so promptly. Just too cool.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I received my tube back today and it's square  [:D].

I sent it by UPS on Tues, Oct 21. They received it on Mon, Oct 27. Fixed it, installed a long accessory rail at the 6 o'clock position on the tube (I was willing to pay for it) and sent it out the next day. Awesome customer service by the guys at PRI.

Hmm...Let's see...What other PRI products do I need...Too cool [8D]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep!  That is cool!

Now it looks like I gotta get something from the too[:D]  

I don't know why I havent yet but perhaps an aimpoint mount is in the cards!
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Pictures!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Can you please post the PRI website address, I have not been having any good luck in finding their website.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#14]
leungken-[url=www.pri-mounts.com/index2.htm]PRI's website click here[/url]

[img]http://members.cox.net/eibwen/forearm_1.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]
As an aside, which PRI tube finish do you think looks better: black or natural carbon fiber?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the natural finish as a civilian model because you can see the layup of the fibers as they reflect light at different angles. Plus you could always coat/paint it if you didn't like it. That's me though. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top