Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/18/2003 10:41:04 PM EDT
Wanted to try out a "stubby" or "entry" stock on my AR so I bought one (and a 1" spacer, too). It came with the buffer, spring, and buffer tube.

Replacing my A2 stock with an A1 was no problem as it just involved changing stocks and removing the internal spacer. I have never changed out a buffer tube before and I find that I cannot get the long buffer tube to unscrew from the lower receiver.

Any advice on how to get it out/off without damaging it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:54:53 AM EDT
use a very long wrench or get a pipe to fit over your wrench to give you enough torque to break the seal and get the sucker turning. To avoid damaging it, make sure you use the correct sized wrench.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:58:53 AM EDT
You may damage it if it was improperly installed. I've seen Locktite on these threads but the spec calls for moly-di [i]grease[/i]! The M16 combination wrench has the right fitting for the "nut" on the rear of the lower receiver extension and it should just unscrew once you get the stock off. -- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:53:13 AM EDT
Got it. It turned out to be no problem at all but I was just hesitant and didn't want to damage anything. With proper cushioning and a wrench, it came off without a problem. Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:05:10 AM EDT
As an after thought, my 1991 vintage Colt Lightweight's standard tube was so hard to remove, I sent it to the smith to get it done. The nut on the end of it got chewed up pretty good, so some are really tight. Given Colt's propensity for political correctness, I don't doubt they made it hard to remove it.
Top Top