Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2003 9:59:03 AM EDT
I know nothing about match barrels, but in my experience (1) chrome lined heavy barrels have virtually no accuracy advantage over M4 and M16A2 profile barrels and (2) heavy barrels are heavy.  

My next project is going to be a target/varmint rifle, but I would like to avoid the heavy barrel weight if possible.  I'd like a 18" to 20" match-type barrel (probably not chrome lined) with 1/7 or 1/8 twist.  Is 1/2 MOA too much to ask for?

Is there such a barrel?  Who makes it?  Where is a good place to buy it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster sells 1/7 20" Government Profile barrels in preban configuration only.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Douglas will run about $275-300 and Krieger will run about $400+.  The Krieger will be more accurate than the Douglas.  Expect sub MOA from the Douglas and 1/2 MOA from the Krieger.  You can have the profile and length made to whatever you want.  You start adding factory flutes etc and the price goes up.

Also you have tp realise this is an all custom job.  Most gunsmiths turn these babys from blanks.  Custom AR barrels are seldom an off the rack component.  For the type of accuracy you want I would buy a Krieger.  Just start doing searches on AR15 and Krieger and you will find all the info you need to get what you want.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
DevL:

Do I contact Douglas or Krieger directly, or do they sell through vendors?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#5]
You can contact Krieger directly.  Metalcraft sells ready to go 24" and 26" barrels but Krieger can do several twists, factory fluting and on and on for your specific application.

[url]www.kriegerbarrels.com/product_info.php[/url]

If you call them direct they can do pretty much anything you want including custom contours etc.  I suggest getting the barrel contour spec for the SPR as well as length, acceptable twist and try to mimic that just for the sake of authenticity, if thats what your trying to make.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#6]
A Douglas can be just as accurate as a Kreiger. I know many that have gone distinguised with nothing but Douglas barrels. I have also seen some Kreigers that were tomato stakes. I have one of each and both are equals in the accuracy department. Where the big difference is is in the type of rifling that they use. The Douglas is button rifled and the Kreiger uses cut rifling. It is generally true that a Kreiger will last longer than a Douglas as far as barrel life is concerned. However, you pay for it in the price. To just say that a Kreiger is more accurate than a Douglas is not true, there are many variables and examples that can and will contradict this. There are also many other good barrels out there such as Pac-Nor, Shilen, Hart, etc.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never seen a Douglas that will shoot under .5 MOA consistantly.  I have heard of them but not seen.  I have seen a .25 MOA Krieger.  If you look at who is winning the national matches you will see a lot more Krieger than Douglas.  I also agree that Shilen, Lilja etc are excellent but Krieger is what I would always reccomend.  Its life makes it cheaper in the long run.  I have never seen a poor shooting Krieger.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I know a fellow that has had at least two bad Kreigers. They did replace them, but it was only after wasting time and money on trying to get it to shoot. All of the makers do let a bad one or two slip out. I know of at least two distinguished rifleman who have shot and will shoot nothing but Douglas barrels. My Douglas will shoot every bit as good as my other Kreiger. I will admit that the Kreiger will more than likely outlast the Douglas, but then again I did not pay as much for it as the Kreiger. My latest barrel is the Pac-Nor 6.5" twist. Many have reported excellent accuracy with them as well. I will admit that most on the highpower firing line will use or at least want a Kreiger, there are others now that are gaining on their heels.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Is the accuracy for the Oly Ultramatch in the same league as the Douglas?
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#11]
There are very few people who can max the ability of the Oly Ultra match barrels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top