Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2003 5:55:06 PM EDT
Time to show my ignorance. I have built a lower and I was planning to buy an upper. From what I'm reading, a chrome-lined barrel is the way to go. So when I started seeing barrels described as "chrome-moly" I thought that was the same thing. Then I found a page selling uppers that specifically described their uppers as "Chrome-Moly NOT Chrome-Lined."

So, before I spend my money what's the difference? And should I be particularly worried about it?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:04:03 PM EDT
Never mind. I just answered my own question. http://groups.msn.com/ThePennsylvaniaAR15ShootersSite/barrelfaq.msnw
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:48:38 PM EDT
Hey Brian, I have a colt. Do you know is mine chrome lined? The barrel reads "c mp 5.56 nato 1/7. I know what the rest of the stuff is but I'm trying to find out if my barrel is chromed in my manual and I'll be darned if I can't tell. It's a "sporter target model" basically government style.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:37:54 PM EDT
I have no idea. I suspect Colt could tell you, but I couldn't.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:56:23 PM EDT
All of Colt's military profile/twist barrels are chrome lined, as are there pre-ban barrels. They only started using non-chromed barrels in the past few years on thier 1/9 twist barrels. Even then, they care chroming the chamber which helps reliability, just not the bore which would make cleaning a little easier and increase barrel life. It is safe to assume that anything that says begins with "C MP" and ends in "1/7" is fully chrome lined.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:17:14 PM EDT
Thanks hoplophile.
Top Top