Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2003 2:51:46 PM EDT
This is my first time at this site and it looks like the place I want to be for my questions.

Now that I have my bolt gun (Remmington 700, .308 shoots 1/2 MOA with math ammo) I am interested in an AR15 or AR10 but don't know where to start looking.  I've seen some remarks that complete rifles (such as Les Baer or other "custom" rifles) are over priced.  How do I go about getting / putting together an accurate AR15.

I've also looked at the AR10T, is it worth the price?? And is it truely a 1MOA gun out of the box?  What about the AR10T's reliability - is it?

How would I use the guns??  I have shot a few NRA matches (using an M-14), IPSC matches.  Also just drivinh tacks at the range.  So I'm looking for the most versital gun I could find - I know that with versatility I may loose some benefits of a specific gun.  

Any suggestions???

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If NRA (highpower) matches are your game, the AR10 or AR15 can be used. The AR10 is considered a match rifle and the AR15 can be a match or service rifle depending on which one and how it is set up. The most versatile rifle IMHO for higpower would be a AR15 set up as a service rifle in that you can shoot either NRA or CMP Leg matches. CMP Leg matches are service rifle only. Service rifles are the M1, M14 and M16 or their commercial equivalents. In order to have a legal AR15 service rifle it has to be an A2 upper with 20" barrel. Flat tops and longer barrels are not service rifle legal. Another thing to consider is the cost of magazines. AR10 mags. are quite a bit pricier than AR15 mags. from what I have seen. In highpower the AR15 is by far the most popular rifle on the line, hands down.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
AR 15 mags: anywhere from 15-30 bucks (depending where you shop)

AR 10 mags: 50-100 bucks.

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
First , are we to assume you don't need to
concern yourself with California "issues" ?

Second , If you are proficient with a .308 ,
the AR10 would be a good second rifle for you.
(same ammo , good for competition, and hunting)

Third , could ya use spell check? [;)]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I don't need to be concerned with the CA issues as I'm moving shortly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top