Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2003 8:25:38 AM EDT
Anyone know who makes wooden handguards in rifle or carbine length?  I'm putting together a wood furniture AR and I've found a buttstock and grip, but no handguards.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm... that's what I was afraid of, but I was hoping that someone made a veneer or something along those lines.  Sounds like I'm going to need to fabricate something.  Something like a badger freefloat tube with veneer panels on it.  Well, it'll give me something to do on the weekends I guess.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I know I saw one somewhere that was a slip on over a free floated forend tube sorta rig.  Let me look for it a bit....

- Nw -
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 2:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=FAROT&storeid=1&image=arwoodff.gif[/url]

I swear i've seen some somewhere that were longer tho..
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Sweet... thanks skammy!  That's exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...and I've found a buttstock and grip, but no handguards.
View Quote

techbrute -

Where did you find your wooden buttstock and grip???
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...and I've found a buttstock and grip, but no handguards.
View Quote

techbrute -

Where did you find your wooden buttstock and grip???
View Quote

I've actually seen wood grips at many places, and the stocks I've seen at several places, as well.  I was considering purchasing from Model 1 Sales since they had both in one location, except that they had no handguards.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[url]http://dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=FAROT&storeid=1&image=arwoodff.gif[/url]

I swear i've seen some somewhere that were longer tho..
View Quote

That's exactly what I was thinking about.  Thanks Skammy!

- Nw -
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
There are some really good fake woods (plastic wood out right now  not to mention dip-on patterns just like they do realtree, advantage, etc. they could do a walnut dip for ar stocks. they just haven't done it. .) I don't see why no-one has ever built a set in an attempt to appeal to traditionalists.

You could probably make a wood set that riveted to a pair of steel heatshields/mounting brackets, but machining all the ribs that are normally molded in would be very time consuming.  Even then they would be hunting only as the wood would heat up and burn in a fast fire 150-200+rds.  

[b]Boy would it look nice though.[/b]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Somewhere I've also seen a pistol grip that accepts 1911 grip panels.  That opens up quite a few possibilities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top