Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 3:13:47 PM EDT
I have a nice Colt SP1 carbine (2 position collapsible stock).  Per the AR15 serial number listing it was made in 1974.  I believe it is all original, except it had a funky flash hider on it that came back down over the barrel to give the appearance of a 11.5" barrel with a long flash hider, barrel is skinny, 12" twist and 16" long.  I replaced the heavy f/h with a regular A1 f/h, everything else is as I purchased it 3 years ago.  I shoots with 100% reliability, but shows wear in the upper and lower, etc.  I would estimate it is in perhaps 70-80% condition.  I previously considered these "imperfections" just signs of honest use and it does not bother me.  It seems real military M16's always look a bit 'well used'.

Anyway, I am thinking of putting on some Cavalry Arms furniture in coyote brown, the tele-stock, carbine handgaurd, and ergo grip.

What do you think?   Leave the old gal original? Or dress her up in new furniture?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, it is a Classic and "I" would leave it as Original.

I'd give my left nut for one, wish I had the $$$ right now to look for one.

MM419
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
BillSP1,

I'd vote for leaving it in original shape.  There is something very cool about older original condition guns, be they SP1s, 1911A1s, K-98s, or whatever.  

Alot of people do just the opposite of you, making "retro" ARs... most would kill for your SP1.

Scot
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
DUDE it's just furniture!
Enjoy [:D]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Frankly, if it was me (and I DO have an SP1 carbine)I'd spend the money on a first quality metal refinish job, in the original shade.

That being said, it's your rifle and your money.  If you want to update it, go ahead.  Just save the original parts for when you get tired of the "new" look and realize that you like better as an original[:D]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep all the original parts, you can easily swap out stocks and uppers.
Here's My SP-1 set up like an M16A2.
Colt large hole A2 upper, Colt M16A2 barrel.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/049397.JPG[/img]

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys.  Not sure which way to go, so I will leave the SP1 as is for now.

Derek45:  My SP1 looks very little like your rifle.  It does not have the forward assist gadget (or the shell deflector), and it wears the original skinny 16" barrel with the correct short round tapered handgaurds.  It is the lightest AR15 I own, I can carry it a long way on a $3 GI web sling.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IMO, it is a Classic and "I" would leave it as Original.

I'd give my left nut for one, wish I had the $$$ right now to look for one.
View Quote

A SP1 carbine or a left nut?? [;D][:D]

Seriously though, I'd leave her as is & enjoy her for what she is.  Old school/retro Ar15's are the shizznit in my book.    
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:18:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Do whatever you want to it & have fun.

I'm using a Colt SP-1 lower on a RRA M4 upper.

Just keep the old parts so you can change back anytime.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#9]
My SP1 wears A2 handgaurds, stock, sights (Ashley on the rear), Ergo Grip and a Cav Comp. Do what you want with it and keep the original parts.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Factory Colt SP-1 carbines didn't come out untill 1978. Not sure how a 1974 serial number would have been modified unless a prior owner did the coverversion. JFYI.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I will double check the serial number and look it up on the list here at AR15.com, but I thought it was 1974.  Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]
OKay, I am looking at my Colt SP1 right now. serial number is: SP1(space)435xx. When was this made?

Configuration is as follows: 2-position colapsible ctock, fixed "carry handle" with A1 rear sight, no forward assist, no fence around the mag release button, no shell deflector lump,  bolt carrier has the forward assist notches.  

The upper which I believe is original, has real skinny 16" barrel, the old style handgaurd retaining ring (pre-delta-ring era), handgaurds are round in cross section tapering toward the front, bayonette lug.
The list seems to unclear as to what I have.   I know the guy who I bought it from and aside from the funky flash hider (which he told me about) it is as he purchased it.  But I do not know if he got it new.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#13]
i have the exact same sp1, with the same funky flash hider. slips down over the barrle and starts to thread halfway.

i would leave it exactly like it is, i did. and its a great shooter. best part about mine is i traded a cop a cell phone for it, when cell phones first came out. actually only cost me 5 bucks.  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#14]
By the serial number you list it would indeed seem to be a 1975 SP-1. And seeing how another member has added his SP-1 is exactly as yours I would concur about leaving it as is. There is a chance your weapon is a factory custom job.

If you want another source for Colt information try;

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/[/url]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top