Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/24/2003 1:40:47 PM EDT
is this the correct forum for this?

anyone have an experience with this gas tub in their carbines?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:45:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:14:55 PM EDT
Most M4 end-users are very happy with them. I installed one in my M4 barrel and it wouldn't cycle without a sound suppressor attached (but I think my installation of the PRI front post might have partially inadvertantly closed the gas port.) I could notice a deffinite differance in cycleing characteristics with the sound suppressor attached though. It will make your gun smoother and lower ROF considerably. On a 10.5in commando it will sometimes lower ROF from 950RPM to 625RPM.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:14:24 AM EDT
I experienced the same problem as GreenO. With suppressor it ran fine, without it would not. I added the Mcfarland gas rings and wolff extractor spring and D ring. Now it runs 100%, though I'm still waiting for PRI to get the tubes back into production (I'm number 1 on your list right Grant?) Out of curiosity GreenO did you notice any change in sound signature with your suppressor after installing the Fatboy?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:46:06 AM EDT
i am only running a semi auto and no suppressor on my 11.5" SBR. i don't have any problems but the things really does recoil hard. i was just loooking to soften the cycling. so, is it still worth it on a semi only? thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:47:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2003 6:48:53 AM EDT by Green0]
No my sound suppressor was a homebuilt (I think it is on what they call a form1) Anyway it only produced about 24DB sound reduction. It still sounded like a .22lr handgun. Too loud for comfort. I am still saving money for a KAC M4QD an AAC M9 SD maybe a Tactical Inovations $100 .22lr suppressor and the stamps and registrations for converting 2 rifles to SBR's. I want to buy most of it at the same time as I would buy through Lauer weaponry and they are about a 3hour drive from my house (2 trips per transaction is enough [rather than the eight trips that it would take to do these seperately.]). I'll bet the fatboy lowers sound signature though (when used with a decent sound suppressor). less high pressure gas exiting the bolt carrier means less sound. I'm kind of wondering what My LMT 10.5 will sound like (Std tube and LMT Sopmod II carrier with third gas hole).
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:55:47 PM EDT
I use them on my short barreled full auto setups in 11.5" and 14.5", which all have mounts for a suppressor. The PRI helps counteract the speedup from using the suppressors. Not only does it reduce cyclic rate, but it aides in extraction as it increases dwell time. Got all mine from Wes at [url=www.mstn.biz]MSTN[/url], he may still have some in stock.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:35:24 AM EDT
i talked to wes and they are on back order. so i'll wait and give one a try then. thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 2:59:09 PM EDT
I use a PRI Fat Boy on my Bushmaster 14.5" M4 Barrel without a hitch. The recoil impulse does seem a bit softer than my 16" std. carbine. I ordered the Fat Boy direct from PRI for $50.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 7:56:59 AM EDT
IMHO the Pri Fatboy solves most if not all of the ills in the 14.5 inch (and shorter) barrel. I run one on my semi and now sleep much better at night. With more dwell time of the gas in the gas tube, the extraction process begins when it should (not early due to gas hitting the bolt sooner) and that allows the case to expand and then "settle" in the chamber before being ripped out before it is ready as shorter barrels tend to cause. My opinion, if you are running anything less than 20 inch get one. IPSC_GUY sends his shamless plug for the Fat Boy
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 8:13:00 AM EDT
i know that MSTN is out of them right now. who else caries them? i think that my 11.5 will benifit but i will hold off on the 16's, they seem to be fine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 11:28:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:55:51 PM EDT
trying to reduce the ROF on your full auto gun seems like an oxymoron. If you want your gun for target or game hunting, semi auto will do you better. If you want your gun for shooting terrorists in urban CQB, then ROF is the most important factor. Seems like the only benefit of lwoer ROF is to save money on ammo
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 9:20:43 PM EDT
No its called controllability. You have not fired much full auto have you?
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:43:35 PM EDT
Also should aid in the aforementioned accelerated bolt problems that seem to physically manifest themselves.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:58:43 AM EDT
Relevant thread for gas tubes - this would probably explain why some people are having trouble without the suppressor attached and why the D-ring helps: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=170410&w=searchPop[/url]
Top Top