Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 7:30:53 PM EDT
Any thoughts?  I have neither stock, but have been doing some preliminary intel for several projects I have pending.

The VLTOR seems to be a product-improvement over the standard collapsable stock.  The Magpul looks like they started from scratch and almost created a paradigm with their product.

The VLTOR is half the price, but then again, a Ford is half the price of a Lincoln, too.  Price only goes so far.

I'm leaning towards the Magpul, but I'd really like to hear from the people that have one or the other.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I spent the money and bought the Magpul stock.  I couldn't be happier.  I am going to buy another one for my other carbine.  It is steady as a rock when locked in place.  It is definitely a step above any other of the other stocks I have tried. I got to play with a VLTOR at a gunshow before I bought, but I thought the Magpul would be the better stock.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both and love both. Both are incredible upgrades from what we have had available to us previously. I think the VLTOR has a more comfortable feel to it, but my favorite rifle gets all my favorite gear. And my favorite rifle has a Magpul.

I cant say a bad thing about either and I believe you will be happy with whichever one you choose. But in my opinion, the Magpul is a superior design and has more flexibility. It will take a little getting used to, but thats just because it is different than what you may be used to up to this point. Once you familiarize yourself with it and become comfortable with its operation, you wont remember that it was a little awkward at first.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't give feedback on the Magpul, but the Vltor is excellent!
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't speak of the Magpul but I do have a VLTOR and would not trade it for anything, stockwise anyhow[:)]!  Considering the cost of a Magpul it would have to be at least 50-60 percent better than the VLTOR to be worth the price for me and I don't mind spending money on my guns for sure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Have two MSS M93 , waiting for the upcoming M95 and batteries tail sections, outstanding product .

PP out
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I have held a rifle with a VLTOR, but have not shot one with it installed. I like them much better than the older style stocks.

I do have the Magpul M93 on one of my carbines. I like it so much, that I am going to spend the extra money on one for my second carbine.

If you have the money, I would go for the Magpul. Just my opinion. I dont think you can go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Magpul was well worth the 20,000 pennies I paid for it and the optional sling attachment and weaver base.

Hehe... its good to be the EE whore who snatvhes up the great deals!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for the Magpul.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the decision is made.  Today I had the pleasure of meeting Bartholemew_Roberts.  You may know him from such classics as [b]The Big ACOG BDC Chart[/b] tacked up in the optics forum.  Let me tell you, he is as generous in person as he seems in his posts.

To cut to the point, he has a Magpul stock on the AR that he was carrying today, and I got to handle it for the first time.  WOW!  Talk about a tight fit!  It was aboslutely jiggle free.  It can't even be compared to the rattle trap stock I have on my pre-ban right now.

Beyond being an absolutely beautiful fit, the stock is constructed so that the part where your cheek welds is smooth.  With the typical stock, you're either half on, half off, or just plain screwy with your welds.  This thing had no seams where you cheek hits and feels fantastic.

I'm placing the order TODAY!!  With my luck, they'll be backordered... sigh.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 2 MSS M93 magpul stocks. Their build quality is impressive and both are wobble free.

I like the fact that I can preset the stock to a position I like. Once preset, you can store your rifle with the stock in it's closed position and "unlocked" to keep it short. When you need to get the carbine into action, you pull the rifle from it's case and give the stock a yank. Just that fast the stock moves to it's preset position and you're ready to shoot. At this point, the stocked is in an "unlocked" position but it cannot move forward. Locking it only takes another split second and locked or unlocked the stock feels very solid.

I am anxiously awaiting the battery packs and the strike plates.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Iv'e never tried the Magpul before but I own a Vltor and it is excellent.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:28:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with the VLTOR.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:10:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:44:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I went with the VLTOR.
View Quote

Ditto.

--LS
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I really like my Magpul and am waiting for the M95 to come out and have a truly modular rife setup with one lower. Presently have an 14.5" M-4 Colt set up with an EoTech. The next upper would be in the 18"-20" range, maybe an SPR setup or a 6.8 when it comes out. In the past, everytime I bought a upper, a new lower usually was a following purchase.My other AR's just might become safe queens.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have both a rifle and carbine Vltor Mod Stock and love them both. They're cheap, incredibly comfortable and allows for upgrade. I'm just wonder where they've been whole life [:)]

ls
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a magpul and I love it.

I should probably post the next part in the EE forum but, if anyone has a magpul without the sling attachment, I will trade them my sling attachment for the little metal insert that goes in in its place.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I've handled both.  Like em both, got the Vltor.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Artifex.  There are two different sling attachments, small hole and large loop.  The piece you are mising is plastic and not metal BTW.  IM me and we can discuss.

I have had both the Magpul and VLTOR installed on my M4.  The VLTOR is the best of the old school designed stocks but the Magpul blows it away as far as comfort of the cheekweld (which is huge to me) and it eliminates the possibility of any rattle or slop.  Overall tightness and rigidity is also important to me.  The Magpul is just a better design and one of the few expensive AR related items worth the money.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess I missed it.  What is the M95 supposed to offer over the M93?  How is it different?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#22]
It will be the sniper stock tail unit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

So does this automatically mean a 1/2" MOA group reduction upon installation?

OHHHH.....The quest for the magic sword, or should I say......the latest and greatest.

Will pics also be instantly reviled for all to behold?

Sorry,  could not resist! [;D]

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

So does this automatically mean a 1/2" MOA group reduction upon installation?

OHHHH.....The quest for the magic sword, or should I say......the latest and greatest.

Will pics also be instantly reviled for all to behold?

Sorry,  could not resist! [;D]

View Quote

No but gyroscopic stabilization has been discussed and it will have an adjutable comb height.  Go check the Magpul website for the preproduction drawings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top