Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2003 10:02:54 AM EDT
Has anyone ever heard of installing a double trigger on an AR15? A double trigger has room on it for both your trigger finger and your middle finger. I went paintballing and used a paintball gun with one of these installed, and it greatly increased my rate of fire. Do you know of any company that can/would do this? Also, do you think this is a good idea? The benifits are obvious: you should be able to get at least 8 rps using a semi automatic rifle and a trigger with a very light pull (like a Jewell trigger). The only downside is you cannot use the middle finger of your trigger hand to stabalize your gun. Let me know what you think!
Here is a link to a picture of a paintball double trigger: http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/553/
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it is an idea best forgotten.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Why is that?
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I think Alan Zitta did this at one time.  Yeah it works but I think the design of the trigger (long fulcrum- huge trigger guard )makes inadvertant firing a strong possibility if brush enters the trigger guard while in the woods with the safety off.

I don't know why an electronic trigger hasn't been made yet (unless that is not legal). An electronic trigger actuator would make more sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
GreenO a solenoid trigger is apparently not legal or so I've heard hear a few years ago :( IMBW
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a trigger out that has one trigger but it fires both when you pull it and when you release it.  I am assuming this is something different.

What I would like to see is a trigger that uses a full auto selector and has a redualr triger in semi auto and the double trigger function on the full auto setting.  I would buy that in a split second, what do you all think?
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
There auctualy is a trigger like that. It has a crisp, 5 pound pull for single shot, and the second stage is 8 pounds for full auto. The url for the trigger is http://www.zianet.com/tsoper/wizzd.html
have fun! It sounds like it is not illegal to install this trigger on an ar15 as long as the gun is not capable of full auto!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I think its a bad idea to try to mechanically replicate near full-auto fire.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:44:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
GreenO a solenoid trigger is apparently not legal or so I've heard hear a few years ago :( IMBW
View Quote

Well, I don't know about a solenoid type system, but I do know Remington makes a Model 700 with an electronic fire control system. No hammer or firing pin, it ignites the primer electrically.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think its a bad idea to try to mechanically replicate near full-auto fire.
View Quote

Why is that?

The double trigger I was speaking about was deemed legal by the ATF because the rifle cannot "Fire more than once from a single trigger pull" and the double trigger does not. Therefore it is not considered a machinegun. It fires once with each trigger pull and once when it is released.  This effectively doubles the speed at which you can put rounds down range from 240 to 480.  Or were you more concerned with an issue of ammunition conservation?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DevL (and modified by me for clarity):

What I would like to see is a trigger that uses a [red] 3 position (safe, single, double)[/red] selector and has a [blue]regular trigger (semi auto) on 'fire setting 1' and the double trigger function (one round fired on squeeze, one round fired on release of trigger) on the second 'fire'[/blue] setting.  I would buy that in a split second, what do you all think?
View Quote

That would be way cool!!! I would buy that ina second too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There auctualy is a trigger like that. It has a crisp, 5 pound pull for single shot, and the second stage is 8 pounds for full auto. The url for the trigger is http://www.zianet.com/tsoper/wizzd.html
have fun! It sounds like it is not illegal to install this trigger on an ar15 as long as the gun is not capable of full auto!
View Quote

I took a look at this trigger on that site, it clearly states that this trigger is for select fire guns.  I don't know how you get this part where you say "as long as the gun is not capable of full auto" as the trigger was specifically made for select fire guns.

Turby
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#12]
When I said that it could be installed on a semi auto ar15, I meant that it is legal to do this. I did not mean that it would legaly convert a ar15 to full auto. I am not worried that the enlongated trigger guard increasing the chance for acidental shots being fired, when I build my ar-15 it will be for home defense, not IPSC style competition or ambushing the Taliban. I have a few houseplants, but not enough to worry about. Thanks for the input guys! Does anyone know of a gunsmith that would do a trigger like this?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What I would like to see is a trigger that uses a [red] 3 position (safe, single, double)[/red] selector and has a [blue]regular trigger (semi auto) on 'fire setting 1' and the double trigger function (one round fired on squeeze, one round fired on release of trigger) on the second 'fire'[/blue] setting.  I would buy that in a split second, what do you all think?
View Quote

View Quote

Seems to me that that would be an unregistered MG.
Remember one shot per trigger pull (the release is part of the pull, to allow the hammer to reset).
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I don't know about a solenoid type system, but I do know Remington makes a Model 700 with an electronic fire control system. No hammer or firing pin, it ignites the primer electrically.
View Quote

Signal, you are correct, but don't forget that the Remmy700 is a bolt action gun, not a semi, which excludes it from a lot of the crappy legislation.  Not to say that Ariel is wrong or right, just that using the Remmy as an examply seems kind of apples-oranges.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Seems to me that that would be an unregistered MG.
Remember one shot per trigger pull (the release is part of the pull, to allow the hammer to reset).
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that I have seen a product like that which is legal, but it was an external accessory.  If I remember correctly, it was given approval by the BATF, but I can't be sure.

I think they got around the MG part because the wording of the law states something like one shot per deliberate motion of the trigger.  I'd try to look it up, but it was a couple of years ago and I have no idea where to start.  

Of course,  I could be completely wrong.

If it is legal, then it would be cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top