Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2003 7:58:19 PM EDT
I like my 50 Beowulf but worry about the reliabilty of the magazine. In my limited experience with the rifle I have had it fail to feed. The round hangs up on the barrel extension and holds the bolt open. This is with the factory mag. In order for the round to feed it needs to angle upwards at the front to clear the extension. The feed lips on the factory mag are formed to do this but don't always. GI mags hold the round flater and I wonder if they would work at all. Also the round is 3/16" shorter than the 5.56 and slides back and forth during recoil this can't help reliability. Fortunatly my life does't depend on this rifle, but.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, bro....maybe use a heavier spring in the mag to "pop" the rounds up better.

The 458 SOCOM has none of these issues and I've been baffled as to why......

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
You must have a bad mag. In fact, my Beowulf feeds through not only the factory mag, but also all of my other mags, without any alterations.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I was hoping it was just a bad mag. I have some Colt twenties to try next time. Are you using FMJ or Hollow Point?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:30:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm new to the AR-15 world; just acquired a RRA LAR-15.  I've been looking at a Beowulf conversion, but the 458 SOCOM is new to me.  Can you give me some details?
Thanks,
Rusty
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was hoping it was just a bad mag. I have some Colt twenties to try next time. Are you using FMJ or Hollow Point?
View Quote

Handloaded HP'S
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top