Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2003 10:49:46 AM EDT
Alright, I got in on the Magpul groupbuy a few months ago. I've got the production MSS carbine stock, not the expiremental model. When I placed the pre-order I recall hearing (I think) that the production model would be compatible with the Shrike upper. Just recently, while browsing some forums I came across a guy saying the current MSS production stock isn't compatible with the Shrike (not enough clearance for the Shrike charging handle?). I've been planning all along on using this with the Shrike (assuming the Shrike comes out) upper. If the stock isn't compatible it's of no use to me so I'll need to sell it. I've tried emailing & IM'ing Rich @ Magpul but haven't gotten a response. Does anyone know what's with the MSS and Shrike combo?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:45:18 AM EDT
Unless you get ahold of ARES directly anything you hear will be speculation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:50:22 AM EDT
Hi DeanH, I know at one point Rich from Magpul was in contact with ARES discussing this very subject. I don't know what came of it though. I may have to call ARES and ask. Hopefully they're familiar with the MSS design.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 1:39:25 PM EDT
They are, and I think I have heard it was shot with the MSS stock on. If the redesigned charging handle works or not, dunno. I am waiting until I actually have mine in hand before buying the MSS.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:47:51 PM EDT
Last spring I talked to both Rich at Magpul and Eric at Vltor about this, and emailed Len at ARES. ARES tried both the above stocks last winter (IIRC, at the Shot Show) and while they work fine in the fully open position, the charging handle does not clear when the stocks are collapsed. It's easy to see why: Take a look at Shrike photos and the charging handle's position on the left rear side of the receiver, and then look at width of the movable (rear) portion of both the MSS and Vltor stocks. There's no way you could retract the handle without hitting the battery compartments / cheekrests on these stocks. All three companies are looking for solutions. I know Geoff at ARES wants the Shrike to be compatible with every possible aftermarket improvement; who knows, a redesign may be part of the cause of the delay in Shrike deliveries? Bolth Rich and Eric said they also want their stocks to be compatible with the Shrike, but they are/were waiting to see if ARES is able to modify the charging handle. If the Shrike ships as-is, both told me they will try to come up with a modification to allow the use of their stocks. In a worst-case scenario, it appears that a slot cut into the left-side cheekpiece / battery compartment would allow the Shike's charging handle to clear. I, for one, would gladly sacrifice a little storage space if I can use this stock/upper combo. HTH.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:09:43 PM EDT
I to talked with Rich and Eric. According to both, they hope that Geoff of ARES will change the Shrike design to accommodate the Vltor and Magpul stock. We'll see. I Asked Geoff why he placed the charging handle so close to the receiver? Not only would the operator have to work around the belted ammo, but it's just in a poor location. I asked why he didn't improve the Cadillac Gage design, as done on the Stoner 63A/MK23? The Mk23 Features a charging handle under handguard. I got to fire one (thanks to Jerry Tarble) and I fell in love with it. After handling the Shrike, I do think it should be improved upon. Geoff should have improved upon history, not recreate it. Either way, I put money down on a Shrike, but I'm getting nervous. I may have to withdraw my money, soon. I hate waiting a year for delivery. ls
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:40:16 PM EDT
Thanks for the info guys... I'm going to have to decide whether I should sell the magpull stock or not. It really sucks that you can't collapse it fully with the Shrike. I may try giving ARES a call and see if they have made any modifications to the charging handle assembly. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:37:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2003 9:37:38 PM EDT by LordStoner]
Good Luck, let us know the Answer after talking with Geoff. ls
Top Top