[#1]
Thank you
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#2]
thats a lower .......[;D]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#3]
its a lower alright! Good JOB

Now what else can these smart asses help you with?

Really your pics are to dark to see anything.. and if it is a blank receiver then its probably an 80% done very well
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#4]
It's an A2 type AR15 lower reciever, and I can see the makers marking on the left side of the reciever, tho the pic is too dark for me to read it; so just what the hell are you asking????
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Most Sporter target had the Large FC pins and were blocked
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never seen an early ST model with a normal front push pin diameter hole.  They were all large hole.

Are you sure this has normal fire control pins and the sear block was not removed professionally?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
the fc pins are the same as SP1's, the trigger,hammer and disconnect are small pins, if you look into the lower the trigger tail has two rails not the single rail like the large pin lowers have
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Are you sure this has normal fire control pins and the sear block was not removed professionally?
View Quote

That lower never had a sear block. If it did, there would be an extra hole in the lower receiver. Most are on the right side, but Colt never really did standardize the sear blocks and how they were secured.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Try this.....contact Colt with the serial number. But here is the possible bad news

It could be a receiver that was rejected after the serial number was put on but before all the milling was done. And they would know that.

Someone could have taken it out of the trash.....before it was destroyed....took it home completed it.

On lowers, one of the first operations after forging and broaching is to put the serial numbers on....two things clue me in to a rejected receiver....the stamping is light hit (or appears to be) and the milling in the safety area looks to be more of a hack job than something done on CNC.

just an observation.......Tim
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]
The milling is clean in the safety area and the S/N is a clean stamp as well. If the lower was trashed I would be surprised, It is very clean! The stamp is somewhat light at the top edge but very legible "Colt Mfg. Co, Inc". No Block, Small Fire control pins, old style (sp1) hammer, trigger and disconnect. Small pushpin and raised fence.

The lower seems to be a cross between an M16 and a SP1, Not marked Auto and not milled for the auto sear, but looks like a SP1 inside. All Colt.

The Safe / Fire side of the receiver is smooth it does not have the nubs from the milling of the selector stops down.

What is this? Does anyone have any clues? I think this is very rare.

Link Posted: 9/5/2003 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got 2 Colt remanufactured MT6601s just like that. I also have one that came from the factory virtually identical, save for mine having the sear block. I was big into Colt collecting for quite a while, and the first thing you realize is that NOTHING is standardized at Colt. I've seen 5-10 variations of the MT lower, at the very least. And don't forget White Box variations, etc, etc.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#12]
So is this a white box lower?  Its the first example of a full spec lower from Colt I have ever seen.  That thing must be worth an ungodly sum if its a verifiable preban.  It has every feature you would want in an AR15 lower and its a COLT!  If its a post ban Id like to know where to get a post ban lower like that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Seeing how its got a post 1990 model designation "Target Model" and what appears to be an even later Colt roll stamping for manufacturing location the key to ID this critter is what letters are in the serial number. But they are blackened out.

Ratslasers, what is the serial number designation and there an LEO marking/ID anywhere on this reciever?

It could be a possible R6551 or ??? The questions abound.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#15]
SN is ST 028 XXX, Not LEO marked. I have not seen anything like this before. 6551 had large pins and were blocked. Your guess is as good as mine, Colt says they never made ARs in that config only M16s
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]
"The lower seems to be a cross between an M16 and a SP1, Not marked Auto and not milled for the auto sear, but looks like a SP1 inside. All Colt."

am I the only one for whom this comment makes absolutlely no sence?

The only difference between auto/burst guns is the stamping and internal components.

The SP1/A2 difference is all in the external reinforcements.

Yours appears to have most if not all of the recent A2 reinforcements.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#17]
"The SP1/A2 difference is all in the external reinforcements.
Yours appears to have most if not all of the recent A2 reinforcements."

That is not 100% correct SP1 used the small fire control pins, the A2 had the larger FC pins

In so far as the external reinforcements you are correct.

Please look at the photos if you can ID this you will make my day.

For me I have no clue. Small pins, NO block, fence.

Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Theres no doubt its an R6551. Seen those exact features on Colt lowers before. Not common but not ultra rare. Look at all the R6520's that share everything shown. With the execption of the markings they are identical.

You want those features in a Colt look for a R6520 in the 5K to 7K run.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Possibly a 94 or 95 manufactuered unmarked LEO lower.

Cruizer
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
thats a lower .......[;D]
View Quote
]

a COLT lower!  .......[;D]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#21]
R6551 did not have small fc pins and were blocked. I never saw an R6551 in this config.

If you did please let me know where I can find one. This has to be a pre ban, all post ban had large fc pins. save LE only
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought postban LE only guns shared the large diameter fire control parts....someone enlighten me.  

If the Colt LE lowers have milspec pin holes, it'll be great to buy those lowers when the ban sunsets.

Josh
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Some Colt LEO lowers have a small front pushpin, small trigger pins and it is hit or miss if it has a sear block.

cruizer
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#25]
My '97 LE6920 has a S/N that starts with... "LE"
Go figure...
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/KisaraGrayAlien.jpg[/img]
It obviously didn't come with that upper, that was for color comparison when I was selling that A2.  

Eagle eyes will notice the pin sizes- and the small sized pivot hole in front.  The hole that doesn't have a push pin, still uses a 2-piece SCREW [pissed], and isn't drilled for the front push pin detent spring either.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
if you look into the lower the trigger tail has two rails not the single rail like the large pin lowers have
View Quote

And if you had a clue..well, you'd have a clue.

Those "twin tails" are what a trigger looks like when it has one of the short Colt disconnectors in it. They built them that way for awhile. The disco spring is moved much closer to the trigger pin hole. Didn't work so well so they went back.

ST038100 and below are pre-ban

A2 lowers use the same size FCG pins as all the rest, 0.155".

Nothing in Colt land is standard. They sell what they've got on hand to fill the orders they have.

kisara,
It's a simple matter to have the pivot pin detent spring tunnel drilled. Any gunsmith worth the FFL should be able to do it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Are the LE Blocked? The lower I have questions about is a pre ban the LE lowers were much later.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Eagle eyes will notice the pin sizes- and the small sized pivot hole in front.  The hole that doesn't have a push pin, still uses a 2-piece SCREW [pissed], and isn't drilled for the front push pin detent spring either.  
View Quote

According to the Colt rep I spoke with, machine gun lowers have the holes drilled for the quick-disconnect front take-down pin. He said the resons SOME semi-autos end up having them is because they run out of receivers from the semi-auto line, and just grab some from the machine-gun line.

Sounds believable... I have noticed this in some Colt post-bans...

Edited to add, from Tweak:
They sell what they've got on hand to fill the orders they have.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#29]
As other have said, nothing with Colt's is ever standard. Its a Colt Sporter Target. I would have come from the factory with a 20" A2 chrome lined 1:7 twist, and no bayonet lug.

It they were tooled up for civie guns,and needed a run of Sporter targets, then you got the bastardized features. If they were completing a military run and needed a couple dozen Colt Sporter Target lowers, they didnt change over the line for the new run. they just turned out the lowers they needed without retooling for the bastard features.

I have a rifle in the safe with the same lower features, except marked Colt Soporter Match HBAR. Ser # MH0751XX
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I would like to thank all for the help. I guess it must be a 6551.

What would be the value? It seems like a White label but the date of manf?.I still have questions
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top