Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/23/2003 5:07:04 AM EDT
Is there any benefit besides cooling to leaving the top rail cover off of a RAS/FF RAS/ RAS II hand guard system? Does it make that much difference in cooling?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:11:22 AM EDT
I leave mine on, but then again I tore the heat shield out of the bottom a long time ago. Mine cools just fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:21:04 AM EDT
I think if you don't plan on adding top rail mounted accessories, you can leave it covered if you want. However, if you don't have a flat-top upper or a low profile folding front sight, the top panel could not be removed in a hurry. If you did have a flat-top upper, you could slide the panel off to the rear, but you would have to remove any upper receiver rail mounted accessories first. So in practice, most users remove the top rail panel sooner or later. However, when the systems are first issued to the troops, the top rail covers are installed, so you see many military unit pictures--especially USMC M5's/M16A4's with them installed. Bottom line: in our (KAC) tests, the rail forends cool better with the top rail panel removed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:24:11 AM EDT
Well Id say thats the final word...from source.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:35:24 AM EDT
Thanks everyone. Scott
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 11:20:43 AM EDT
You know, I have noticed that since switching from a standard RAS to an FF RAS MRE that it's seemed cooler on the whole. But I was thinking it was primarily due to the Free floating set up. However I opted for the "low" rail on top which negated the ability to use a top cover panel. Perhaps this has led to an increased and unexpected cooling situation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:16:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1001001: You know, I have noticed that since switching from a standard RAS to an FF RAS MRE that it's seemed cooler on the whole. But I was thinking it was primarily due to the Free floating set up. However I opted for the "low" rail on top which negated the ability to use a top cover panel. Perhaps this has led to an increased and unexpected cooling situation.
View Quote
You also have greatly increased the mass that can store the heat vs the M4 RAS. In addition, the FF RAS has a much better "thermal connection" to the area around the chamber through its unique barrel nut than does the M4 RAS.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:56:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:19:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2003 9:20:52 PM EDT by 1001001]
Originally Posted By MSTN: KAC M4 MRE'S RULE, IN MY BOOK. WES GRANT [URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote
That's good to know Wes, I bought mine from you. Now if I can just ever find a damn RAS for my SR25.
Top Top