Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/17/2003 8:38:05 PM EDT
Just installed one of these on my rifle. Really like it but I noticed that the replacement screw to attach your stock to the buffer tube doesn't have a hole down the middle like the one that came with my rifle. Will this be a problem?

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:14:54 PM EDT
The hole in your original screw is to drain water if you take it swimming.If your not going swimming wth your AR15 you will have no problems.SJR556.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:42:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:45:03 AM EDT
I have it mounted on my SPR and SR25 , I'm a big & tall guy and I find it really useful . PP out
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:51:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:44:29 PM EDT
Hi Wes, I've been out of home for about three weeks , now I'm back , nice to hear from you too, my good friend . ciao, PP out
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 3:56:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MSTN: MAURIZIO RETURNS! GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU, MY FRIEND.
View Quote
Wes, I'm not being an ass here, just wanted you to know that your CAPS lock is stuck on. Most people consider that yelling. Talk to ya at 8:30[;)]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:08:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:16:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MSTN: OH-MY-GOD... I THOUGHT I'D BEEN HEARING VOICES... IT'S MY KEYBOARD!!! ALL THOSE CAPS ARE YELLING AT ME!!! JUST KIDDING. I JUST DO IT IN A SERIOUS ATTEMPT TO FLUSH OUT THE POLITICALLY CORRECT AMONGST US. YOU HAVE NOW BEEN IDENTIFIED. HAR-HAR-HAR, WES
View Quote
Oh SHIT! Does this mean I have to sell my guns?
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:46:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2003 6:47:39 AM EDT by underdog75]
Wes, can you post some pics of this extension and a stubby stock installed? Might have to go this route on my SBR 9mm...thanks, UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:16:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DaPhotoGuy: Just installed one of these on my rifle. Really like it but I noticed that the replacement screw to attach your stock to the buffer tube doesn't have a hole down the middle like the one that came with my rifle. Will this be a problem?
SJR is correct, but there are other reasons as well. Besides drainage of water, the hole helps eliminate the possibility of "hydraulicing". Hydraulicing occurs when the air and/or liquid escapes slower then the compression of a piston or better known as the buffer. This problem of hydralicing will cause the weapon malfunctions, such as short-stroking. I've seen this problem before, especially when people stupidly oil their buffers. Personally, I recommend finding a screw with a blow hole, to make sure your gun does perform properly. It's critical to have the Bolt Carrier velocity to not be affected by the slightest amount of hydraulicing. ls
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:36:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2003 7:37:54 AM EDT by DaPhotoGuy]
Originally Posted By LordStoner:
Originally Posted By DaPhotoGuy: Just installed one of these on my rifle. Really like it but I noticed that the replacement screw to attach your stock to the buffer tube doesn't have a hole down the middle like the one that came with my rifle. Will this be a problem?
SJR is correct, but there are other reasons as well. Besides drainage of water, the hole helps eliminate the possibility of "hydraulicing". Hydraulicing occurs when the air and/or liquid escapes slower then the compression of a piston or better known as the buffer. This problem of hydralicing will cause the weapon malfunctions, such as short-stroking. I've seen this problem before, especially when people stupidly oil their buffers. Personally, I recommend finding a screw with a blow hole, to make sure your gun does perform properly. It's critical to have the Bolt Carrier velocity to not be affected by the slightest amount of hydraulicing. ls
View Quote
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking might happen. But, Aren't the flat places on the otherwise round buffer face designed to allow the air to escape as the buffer moves back? If I can't find a screw long enough (1 inch longer than standard) Could I get the same effect buy drilling a 1/32" hole in the tube near the end of the buffer tube inside the stock (did that make any sense)? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:21:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:31:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DaPhotoGuy: That is EXACTLY what I was thinking might happen. But, Aren't the flat places on the otherwise round buffer face designed to allow the air to escape as the buffer moves back? If I can't find a screw long enough (1 inch longer than standard) Could I get the same effect buy drilling a 1/32" hole in the tube near the end of the buffer tube inside the stock (did that make any sense)? Thanks.
View Quote
The early AR15/SP1's had holes drilled in the receiver extension, located near the threads. They eliminated those holes due to some strength issues. But the holes in mention are a quarter inch in diameter. 1/32 probably won't hurt anything. Yes, the buffer has flats cut on the sides for that purpose, but action spring somewhat kills that theory. In other words, the spring seals to the buffer and the spring also seals with the buffertube, especially during compression. In the long run, I would recommend a screw with a blow-hole, but either way get a vent installed. ls
Top Top