Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2003 10:01:53 PM EDT
I made a few changes to my current favorite carbine. Im really pleased with them however minor the changes may seem. Almost all of the changes have evolved from my desire to have a btter sling on this gun.

My biggest complaint for the MagPul stock since I got it has been I havent been able to set up a sling the way I like it.

For years now I have run the Royal Arms Bungee sling on this rifle. I loved it. I havent had a single complaint and it has held up extremely well considering all the use and conditions it has seen. The one thing I didnt really like was that it had no way to quick detatch.

I had a standard sling on another gun I had and needed a replacement. I went with a CQB Solutions 3 point sling on the suggestion of Wes at MSTN. I got it and put it on that rifle. I loved it so much I moved it to my favorite rifle and diched the Bungee Sling after many years of use. The CQB Solutions sling is great. But when I atached it to my SPR/M93 gun, I still had no way to quick detach...

I went and got some HK Style hooks from Treetop at Adrenalin ARMS and put them on the CQB solutions sling. But these mounts would not go through the single point sling loop atachment from Magpul. Rich sent me a new eyelet type sling loop that fits into the mounting hardware of the MSS M93 stock. It was EXACTLY what I wanted.

I also got a Dieter CQD front sling mount. I like it better than the standard one you get with the SIR systems. I dont know if the Dieter unit is better for everyone with all sling types, but for the use and sling I have set up, it is an improvement.

Link Posted: 8/15/2003 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Now that setup looks sweet!  Did you get that same setup for your RAS II gun too?  I thought something looked a little different besides the CompM in the pics from the other topic thread.  

LMK too if you want to get rid of the old bungee now.  I have a sling-less Colt who's budget isn't as big as some of my other projects.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 3:52:07 AM EDT
[#2]
No The RAS II gun got a Dieter SLing from BlackHawk. I initially got the Dieter sling for the SIR gun and the CQB Solutions sling for the RAS 2 gun. But I liked the CQB Solutions one so much better it had to go on my favorite rifle. The Dieter sling comes with HK style hooks though, so that may be why they looked similar.

I dont know if I can part with that old Bungee Sling. While it is not on any of my guns right now, I still really like that thing. Like I said, its held up like a champ and is still among my favorites. Over aprox 4 years of use, classes, competitions, rain, and even a 2 day class in SNOW... The simple little sling has been very good to me. It used key rings as an attachment point which is what I disliked most about it though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 4:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
How much noise does it make?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How much noise does it make?
View Quote

A couple of friends of mine have slings with the HK hooks, not sure which brand, but they came with wide elastic fabric bands (Lycra?) which hug and cover the Hk hooks to make them quiet and from scratching the rifle...
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It clanks a little. Not a WHOLE lot, but it is metal to metal on both the front and rear points. Hawkeye has an Eagle sling that has the covers over the hooks. I like them and want to see if I can get some, or something like them for the sling.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]
AK_Mike, new style IDF slings?
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/IDFblackSling.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/IDFoliveSling.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I just installed my magpul stock the other night... love at first cheekweld!
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#8]
How much is the sling loop?  I just installed a Magpul stock myself and like the looks of that setup.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm...

When can we expect a swivel version? - It like the KAC QD versions...

Rich?

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The older single point sling loop was a $20 upgrade to the stock. I presume this new one would be about the same...
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Which version of the 3-point sling did you get?
I've been considering them, but I was afraid I'd end up with a sling that tied me up in a knot.
Could you give a brief review of the sling itself and why you prefer it?
Damn I love that rifle.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, I didnt realize I neglected to mention WHICH of CQB Solutions many 3 point slings I got. It is their SOP sling. I got it sight unseen purely upon the recommendation of Wes @ MSTN. In fact, I dont know if anyone had seen them yet. When I got it, I called up to get a Dieter sling for this gun. But MSTN was out of them. Wes told me he would be getting more in, and that he would be glad to put the order on hold, but he asked if I wantged to hear about a new sling he had seen from CQB Solutions. He said that his first shipment of them had come in that day. He told me about the sling, and since it really wasnt all that much money, I told him to just send one.

Well, now I have both slings and by the plain fact that this CQB Solutions sling is sitting on my favorite and most used rifle, and that it replaced a sling that I loved and have used rough for 4 years and have not really had a real complaint about, it should tell you which sling I like best between the Dieter, CQB Solutions and Bungee Sling.

The biggest reason I like the sling is that its so comfortable. I took a class a few months ago that was 2 full days/nights long. Me and a friend (AEM) both had bungee slings. Both of us noticed how the thiing bungee sling would dig into you. We were moving the sling from one part of our shoulder to the other all day because all the weight of the sling rested on the small strap on the top of our shoulders. The SOP sling is 1.5" sling that uses 1" loops to attach. The 1.5" sling is very comfortable. I didnt know the wider sling would make so much difference in how it hangs, but it does. In additon, one of the things I really liked about the bungee sling was that it was a extremely simple tac sling without a lot of loops and buckles to bind up or get caught in. I believe the fatter webbing on the SOP sling makes it less prone to tangle or twist. If/when it does get a twist in it, the thicker sling seems easier to me to straighten out quickly.

The quick release buckle which allows you to very quickly and very easily get the sling off in a hurry is a real blessing, but the Transition Release Buckle (TRB) is, in my view, the more useful of the two. The TRB allows the length of the sling to instantly be increased. This is most helpful in two scenarios I have noticed. One when you need to Transition the gun to your support side in order to go around a barricade. Slung up with a standard Tac sling, you would need to remove the sling all together. With the TRB, you just release the buckle, and add to the lenght of the sling enough so that you can shoulder on the other side. The TRB is also very useful if you want to throw the rifle to your back and out of your way. The added length the TRB provides lets you do this quickly and easily without having to make a lot of adjustments.

This is just off the top of my head...
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I like quick release buckles on slings just because you dont have to muzzle everyone on the range getting the gun off you.  Good idea thats being used by several manufacturers (for other reasons).
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn that new loop is nice, but I guess I'll stick to the one that came with mine, the elongated rectangular type attachment...

I love this stock!
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, the Magpul stock is amazing. It would appear that there is very little it cant do or be set up to do. There are so many options and features to take advantage of, I cant imagine that anyone would find it wanting in some area. Whats even better is that everytime someone thinks of something they would like to see... Rich makes it!!!

You want the tube to be anodized? Done!
You want the release buttons bigger? Done!
You want a single point sling attachemnt? Done!
You want a loop style sling attachement? Done!
You want a quick release sling attachment? Soon!

Im telling you, this piece of gear is changing the way people are looking at making stocks. It was a HUGE leap ahead of what we had and the result has been wonderful. Im convinced that the reason we have a few other stocks to choose from is due to Rich's very public development of the MSS over the last two years or more. I remember seeing the first picture of it after the 2001 ShotShow. I thought it looked interesting then. When I found out what it was going to be capable of, I got pretty excited. After having and using one for some months now, it has lived up to every expectation I have had and surpassed many.

Rich, my SPR is dying for the sniper stock illustrated in your literature!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:........my SPR is dying for the sniper stock illustrated in your literature!
View Quote

Rick,
mine too !

...and also for the batteries/spare parts  containers...
PP out
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I love this stock!
View Quote

Ditto.

Now, wait till Rich finishes the adapted version for the 870 conversion (ask Rich [;)] )

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16257[/img]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16254[/img]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#19]
The photo is a bit fuzzy, but that looks suspiciously like an ARMS rail w/ a #40 out back & a PRI up front. That must be the longest continuous rail I've ever seen on any SG.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Master_Blaster,

You are correct on the #40 and ARMS rail  - there was a KAC300m flip up front but it got removed prior to me shooting it.

I must admit I am not much of a shotgun guy, but this made the gun feel much more handy.  I was not interested until the designer told me that Rich was going to be doing a compatible MAGPUL M93 (I am becoming a huge M93 snob...)
Now I gotta get another 14" 870 - SF light forend etc. (argh...)

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh my god...
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:41:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Great. Just when I had sworn off 870's and said I was going to stick with my Mossbergs.......[banghead]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Can we hear a bit more about attaching the tlescoping stock to the 870 please???
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can we hear a bit more about attaching the tlescoping stock to the 870 please???
View Quote

Check this link out:[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=170673[/url]

ls
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:08:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Rich,
Do you still have the origional group buyers credit card information?
Do the newer sling loops anodized black? The one from the final release stock wasn't coated, and was discolored.
Any momentum on the steel and/or rubber strike plate for the M93?
What about the cheek weld height adapters?
Thanks for addressing my question Neil. I had kind of sworn off CQB because they gave the appearance of being overly complicated, and I though I'd end up in a nylon knot.
You're not going to make a eyelet that rotates any time soon are you?
I'm going to be eating top romin for the rest of my life thanks to you guys.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I have learned to love Ramen noodle soup for the same exact reason!!!! Hahahahaha!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Rich - how are the rubber butt pads coming?
I'm very anxious to get one! I stock my rifle with the buttplate about 3" from midline, and it misses the "traction pad" on my LBV, and instead rests on the smooth nylon of my BV, making it a little slippery. Rubber butt pad will be a blessing.
Doc
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:49:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Check this link out:[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=170673[/url]

ls
View Quote

Actually, I believe you should check out this thread [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=168809[/url]

That pictured stock adapter and rail setup are not like the Cav Arms deal, that looks identical to Brobeebiter's setup he has been working on over in the shotgun forum.  

Hmmm, is Brobee woking with Magpul now??

edited to add:  [img]http://www.coyotecanada.ca/870_cqb_stock/argonaut/pics/14_inch_gun_II.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#29]
new-arguy,

If I understood correctly then one of the main reasons you prefer the SOP over your old Bungee sling is due to the increased width of the SOP and the resulting comfort.

Do you think that if the Bungee sling had been available in a 1.5" width then you would have preceived less of a performance gap between it and the SOP?

In other words if the Bungee sling was available in a 1.5" width would you still prefer the SOP?

Thanks,
Don.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
new-arguy,

If I understood correctly then one of the main reasons you prefer the SOP over your old Bungee sling is due to the increased width of the SOP and the resulting comfort.

Do you think that if the Bungee sling had been available in a 1.5" width then you would have preceived less of a performance gap between it and the SOP?

In other words if the Bungee sling was available in a 1.5" width would you still prefer the SOP?

Thanks,
Don.
View Quote

I'll let New-arguy throw in his own 2 cents on this, but, since the bungee sling is round like a bungee cord, even with a larger 1.5" diameter one, its still not going to be nearly as wide or flat as a strap sling, and thus not distribute the weight as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, because I liked the Bungee sling, but wanted someting more comfortable and something that wouldquick detach, I ordered a Dieter CQD Sling from BlackHawk. This is a 1" wide sling that can be used as either a single point sling or a two point sling. They feature HK style hooks to attach and have a section of bungee on either end. This is the sling I wanted when I called Wes. He didnt have any and suggested I get the SOP. I did. I eventually got the Dieter as well. I put the Dieter on my favorite gun (the one pictured here) and the SOP on my nextfavorite gun. The Dieter is nice and I do like it, but man, the SOP is just a "shit hot mod" as Wes would say! It has a lot going for it and it has moved its way onto my favorite and most used gun.

Features it has over the Dieter sling are the TRB (which allows more room for movement and maneuverability with a slung rifle) and Qucik Release buckle, it's 1.5" wide and very comfortable. Not that this really matters to me... but it is also cheaper.

In the end, no, if the bungee sling were wider I probably still wouldnt go back to it. Like Hawkeye said, its a bungee cord, its a tube shape. You cant really make it wide. The discomfort wasnt that big a deal. It wasnt often I had t carry the rifle slung for long periods of time. If I had to, it probably would have been more of an issue. The problem that was in my face most with the Bungee Sling is it was hard to take on and off the rifle. The mounts were key rings and that made for a hard time. I tried a few different mounting solutions to make it easier, but in the end the easiest thing to do as go with the SOP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top