Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/9/2003 6:35:33 PM EDT
My upper is a 14.5" bushmaster with a mini-Y permanently attached. The thing is so loud that I feel like my head is exploding.....

Anyway, I wish I had just gotten a 16", but I didn't, so now I'm trying to decide what to do.

About how much would it cost for bushmaster to re-barrel my upper with a 16"? Would I get anything for the 14.5"? Also, if I got a crowned 16", could it later be threaded if the ban sunsets?

What about a new break or other muzzle attachments? It's a post ban, so I can't have an evil flash hider, but I do know that nothing's permanent. Are there any muzzle devices long enough that still give some recoil reduction without being so loud? About how much would it cost to have a place like KKF remove a permanent install and replace it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:08:21 PM EDT
Kurt from KKF has two models you may like. The first is a compensator/brake that looks like an A2 flash hider. It's not as loud as the Mini Y and his A3 model is long enough to make a 14.5 the legal 16 inches. The other option is a Fake Flas supressor. Basically it's just an added tube with cuts that don't go all the way through and give the appearance of a flash supressor. He does both of these jobs for around $100 (about half of getting a new barrel from Bushmaster) including shipping if I remember correctly. You should go to his board and ask for a quote to get a definite answer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:17:14 PM EDT
If you want to get rid of that mini Y, PM me. I will take it off your hands. Seriously. The mighty mini Y is easily tamed to very reasonable levels by boring out the center bore to about 5/16ths of an inch. (The bore where the bullet travels.) It still holds the muzzle down, but reduces perceived noise to about the same level as a plain muzzle. CJ
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:29:12 PM EDT
Thanks for your the info. cmjohnson- Unfortunatly, when the break is removed from a permanent mounting, it is quite destroyed. Since I'm taking it off anyway, I'd rather get something a little more mil-spec looking. Also, would drilling it out as you describe make it into an "evil" flash hider as defined by whoever defines such things?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:55:13 PM EDT
I assure you, drilling out the bore does NOT turn it into a flash hider! It also reduces the possibility of "bullet kiss" to practically zero. I might be interested even in the DESTROYED mini Y so that I can use it for measurement and fun purposes, in case I want to try to make my own. (I have access to all machine tools needed.) CJ
Top Top