Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2003 7:59:29 PM EDT
Anybody tried one??  What'd you think?  I'm starting to like my 20 better than the 16's but damn it's heavy.  Is the light barrel that much lighter.

-Craig
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I made the mistake of buying a 20"LW a couple of weeks ago to put on an A2. It made my FT 16" HBAR feel heavy. My 16" was sent to Kurt this week to get an A2 profile ;)

I put it thru a mild shooting session (120rds.) and did not find any problems to report. I've seen some posts refering to POI changes due to pressure applied in differing locations or heat allowing the barrel to flex. I did not experience this. YMMV

Maryland AR site lists the A2(LW) profile as 2.5 lbs. and the HBAR as 3.5 lbs.

genius91
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
My Colt SP1, of course, has the A1 profile 20" barrel. They are awesome rifles. The LW barrel in 1x9 would be neat.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I just put one on my designated riflemen's rifle along with a compact ACOG. I've only run about 150 rounds though it and other than doing a zero on it I haven't seriously put it on target. It is murder on an 18" rifle gong at 100 yards shooting freehand.

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Ihave a Bushmaster with the 20" a-2 bbl and I love it.If I had seen this before I got my 16" H- bar I would never have got a carbine.But now I have both.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Are we talking about A2 profile barrels or are we talking about light wieght A1 "pencil" barrels? I have been looking for one of the rare Colt A1 profile 1/7 barrels for years. If Bushmaster is making them in 1/9 that just might work and save me some money.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I used a Bushmaster 20" "government profile" barrel for a couple of years without difficulty of any sort.  

It's over a pound lighter than the horrible, "standard" HBAR barrel

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey guys, is this the barrel you're talking about?
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl20a2a.asp

I'm considering getting this one, Is it chrome lined with a 1/9 twist?  I assume so because the bushmaster barrel page says all their barrels are unless explicitly stated..

How is the accuracy compared to a 20" HBAR?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Bushmaster 20" Govt Profile A2 on one of my rifles...It is [b]SWEET![/b].

Seems lighter than the 16" HBAR I have on another rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have the Bushmaster 20" Govt Profile A2 on one of my rifles...It is [b]SWEET![/b].

Seems lighter than the 16" HBAR I have on another rifle.
View Quote
 That's because it [b]IS[/b] lighter than the 16" HBAR.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I want a LW 20" in 1/7" chrome lined, real bad.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Colt MT6551 and it has the A2 profile
barrel on it. I really like it compared to the
HBAR profile. It will heat up faster than the HBAR although it cools down quickly.

I have not noticed much difference in accuracy
compared to a HBAR, just that it will heat up faster.

This rifle has been used for deer hunting with success and it's comfortable to carry in the field.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl20a2a.asp

How is the accuracy compared to a 20" HBAR?
View Quote

Gov. profiled barrels rock compared to HBARs! Lighter and just as accurate. I get 3"-4" groups (10 shots) at 225 yards with the above barrel.

Not free-floated using Q3131A off sandbags.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Got a hold of a scale today to weigh my Bushmaster. It's an A2 Post Ban and weighs just 7lbs. 5.5oz.

"Nuff Said"

I'll let you all know what my FT carbine weighs when I get it's barrel back from Kurt.

genius91
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I want a LW 20" in 1/7" chrome lined, real bad.

Bob
View Quote

That would be nice with a flattop no forward assist upper, think of the weight you would save.

They are calling the Gov't Profile barrels 'lightweight' now? What would they call a M16A1/SP1 profile barrel then? Superlightweight?

I love how my 20" HBAR shoots but to carry it is a pain.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#17]
It seems that the heavy barreled guns are more accurate than the "superlightweight" guns, in my experience.

I have never used the Government profile barrel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#18]
all the thin barrels walk. heavies don do it as much. I would say the heavy barrel is more consistant.
GG
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
all the thin barrels walk. heavies don do it as much. I would say the heavy barrel is more consistant.
GG
View Quote

Yes, but merely average guys like me can't tell the difference anyway, especially firing standing offhand, so that extra weight is nothing but extra weight.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#20]
How about free floating this barrel .. since it's skinny in the middle and then normal size after the front sight, would it be too much weight on the skinny part?

Are the handguards even capable of adding extra support to a barrel?

I've been considering building an upper with this barrel but would like to free float it, is there a potential problem here?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Just an FYI.....JP has been building 18" and 20" light wieght barrels for 2 years now. Last year they came out with an 18" ultra light and I had a CTR-02 built on this......this entire rifle, with the low mass carrier, barrel and sights wieghs 6.75 lbs.......shoots sub MOA for 10 shots with the open sights.....I am quite sure it will do 1/2 MOA with a scope.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I like JP's barrels, but for my first AR I'd prefer chrome lined and 5150 steel, getting 1/2 moa is not that important to me at this time, I'd just like to get familiar with the rifle.

Does anyone have any experience free floating this barrel?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any experience free floating this barrel?
View Quote
 You mean besides all the people using them with handguard systems like the SIR and the free-float RAS?  ;)

A thinner barrel will respond even more to free-floating since the thinner barrel is so much more easily affected by external forces.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Great, thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:24:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Trubl, just out of curiosity, do you have some sort of business affiliation with JP Enterprises?

I ask because you have very few posts on these forums and the vast majority of them are sales pitches for JP Enterprises products.

Just wondering where you are coming from when you dispense advice.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:43:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Not really.....I do use his rifles in competitions and a lot of others do as well. Just dosen't seem to get the press here on the board.

I do believe that JP is on the cutting edge for the 3 gun sport. And he supports this sport very well.

In the same light, DPMS also supports the USPSA and 3 gun tactical sports. I know them both very well and have been very supportive of them.

On the other hand I work part time for a gun shop that is also a Bushmaster distributor.....you don't see me posting much about them as I believe they are more of a 'ME TOO' AR15 company....in other words they build AR15's just like everyone else....not a bad thing, they are just more of a run of the mill AR15 company.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:25:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Alright, here's a sales pitch for you all.  Here's the formula:

DPMS + CMMG = Good Shit at a Good Price

CMMG has every single barrel configuration mentioned in this thread.  I'm gonna order a 20" gov't 1:7 for my PWA Commando lower.  Can't wait.  DPMS is an excellent brand.  Check the specs as their uppers and lowers are made from the same stuff as Bushmaster and that company with the Horse logo-forget their name.
[url]http://www.cmmginc.com/inventory_a/uppers_tbl.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Trubl...
Not really.....
View Quote

Is that something like being a "little bit pregnant"??? [;)]

Seriously though, I think that JP Enterprises doesn't get much recognition on these forums because they build competition guns that have no serious social applications.

For better or worse, most of the members at AR15.com seem to be interested in building & configuring their ARs' as weapons. Thus, there is little interest in bright red rifles with micro adjustable sights.

I'm sure JP makes a fine product, but I don't think that you will ever see them garnering the interest devoted to "ME TOO AR15 companies!"    
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Keep in mind that most all car companies got their reputation because of their competative products used in racing. And that their product line for the masses is an end result of that.

JP does make and sells Tactical Rifles that have police, military and self defense purposes.

Also.....I feel they are on the cutting edge of technology as well. Just as soon as you think the AR can't go any farther.....boom....they come out with something of a 'why didn't I think of that'

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top