Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/29/2003 11:18:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/29/2003 4:17:33 PM EDT by knight2]
How do they rate in comparison to Armlite, Bushmaster, Colt, Knights, DPMS ect.?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:01:33 PM EDT
Slightly blacker finish than most of the other brands, also smoother. On some other brand lowers, you may find the rear lug to be a really tight fit at first, and need a rubber hammer to get the upper all the way down into position, but once it wears in a bit, it gives you a nice snug fit w/no rattle. Good value for the money.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:54:34 PM EDT
Rock River polishes the receiver surfaces before the anodizing process. It makes for a smoother surface and is nice. It's not that noticeable a difference, but it is a difference and the fact that they make the effort is great. RRA receivers are tighter than just about any other receivers I have seen, although I have never seen Wilson Combat or Les Baer receivers. Wilson and Baer both promise tight receivers at a premium price, although I can't imagine their receivers being much tighter than my Rock River. If they are, they must be a PITA to open because the RRA is about as tight as I would like it. Over time, it will probably loosen up though. The only other company that does anything different with the receviers is DPMS. They teflon coat after the anodizing, which also makes a smooth surface and a much nicer, "softer" looking looking finish. Everyone else just anodizes by milspec standards. It's not that big of a deal and does not affect the performance of the rifle, but if you want a nice looking, smooth finished AR, the RRA and DPMS receivers are really nice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:24:43 AM EDT
I recently purchased a RRA lower and had the problem of a TIGHT (and I mean [b]TIGHT[/b]) fit when using either of my Bushmaster uppers. At first I was cussing RRA, thinking their lower was out of spec. Everything is together now and I'’ very please with the lower. But, you asked about uppers. (Well, at least I bumped your thread. [:D]) I can tell you this. The RRA uppers I’ve seen and shot really impressed me. IMHO, I think RRA is about the best quality/value going right now. I’m a huge BM fan, but I’ve decided to purchase the RRA Varmint upper for the RRA lower I just built. I can get the upper for about $210 cheaper than a similar BM upper I was considering.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 8:17:18 AM EDT
RRA's aren't T numbered and don't have forged in M4 ramps. Otherwise I would say they are the best uppers on the market. I have 3 and all of them fit very tight but not too tight so as to cause a problem with pushpins (I was surprised how they fit 3 different make lowers equally well.) I've mounted SIR's and RAS II's to RRA's and they both fit easily.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:35:50 PM EDT
to close a tight upper put a towell around the upper and lower then place a broom handle in the middle of the towell and twist till it's tight enough to close the pin.
Top Top