Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2003 8:58:48 PM EDT
Hi guys!! Do you have any idea when HYDRA MATIC division of GENERAL MOTORS stopped manufacturing LOWER receivers for M16 rifles?, because i think during the Vietnam war they are one of the sub contractors for M16s. And now somebody is offereing me a complete rifle with all HYDRA MATIC parts, it looks like in good shape. I just want to know the approximate age of the rifle.
Here in the Philippines, we are quite restricted to building ARs using old lowers, mostly military surplus. Some in good condition some are abused with altered serial numbers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Hydramatics are 30-35 years old.  I've seen quite a few Hydramatics and H&R rifles in the Army Reserves.  They all functioned reliably as any other M-16.

In basic training we used old beat-up Colt M16A1s with severe dings, little to no finish and lots of play between the upper and lower receiver assemblies. Those also worked well, although i scored Marksman (35/40) in basic :(

Anyways, take a look at the hammer and trigger pin holes of the lower receiver.  Make sure they aren't worn out and loose.

Check the chamber and see if there is pitting.  I don't remember if Hydramatics had chrome chambers/bores.  I think they do, but check anyways.

BTW, how much is a complete Hydramatic M-16A1 in the Philippines?

What are the legal restrictions on owning automatic weapons?

Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:03:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hydramatics are 30-35 years old.  I've seen quite a few Hydramatics and H&R rifles in the Army Reserves.  They all functioned reliably as any other M-16.

In basic training we used old beat-up Colt M16A1s with severe dings, little to no finish and lots of play between the upper and lower receiver assemblies. Those also worked well, although i scored Marksman (35/40) in basic :(

Anyways, take a look at the hammer and trigger pin holes of the lower receiver.  Make sure they aren't worn out and loose.

Check the chamber and see if there is pitting.  I don't remember if Hydramatics had chrome chambers/bores.  I think they do, but check anyways.

[b][blue]BTW, how much is a complete Hydramatic M-16A1 in the Philippines?[/blue][b]

What are the legal restrictions on owning automatic weapons?

View Quote

I don't think you want to know because it will make you sick thinking about it but since you asked, probably less than a postban AR15 here.  I was once checking out an arms export website and M16A2s in lots of a 1,000 were $575 each.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi. The HYDRA being offered to me is around PHP 55,000( USD 1000). It is in good shape, except that the complete upper and barrel is a COLT. with barrel markings " C MP B" I think it has a
chromed bore or chamber, it is a full sized M16A1, it has been re finished with "alumahyde".
Last week an ELISCO(Licensed Colt manufacture)
CAR-15 was being offeredfor PHP 45,000 or (USD 800), but still needs to be re-finished, but functions quite well. You have to be very cautious in buying M16s here because most are rebbuilt and re-engraved.
Regarding gun laws. You cannot buy any long firearm except for a shotgun or .22LR. (With handguns you can own as many as you want).
But sometimes(like now) we have amnesty here where you can register "loose"(unlicensed) firearms acquired usually in the black market with no questions asked. Influential persons, such as those in key gov't positions usually can have easier access to high powered firearms.
You can get a permit to transport it to the range.
M16 parts here are also abundant. You can dress up your M16 or Ar-15 any way you want it!! depending on your taste and budget!!the only thing that you cannot buy over the counter is the Lower receiver..
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi! What is the name of the arms export website?
you mean they have M16s for USD 575? Its kinda hard nowadays to look for one in decent shape wheter by COLT, HYDRA or ELISCO. I regretted selling my COLT CAR-15 way back in 1999 for about USD 500(although in bad shape!!)
Thanks!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top