Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2003 5:22:06 PM EDT
Are you able to unscrew the pin and slide the buttstock off the tube? Or is it attached forever.

mzzlebrk
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Your shittin me! No body has one handy to let me know what the deal is?
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It usually is not that simple.  The easiest ones to do have blind pins that need to be drilled out.  Others are pinned and attached with JB weld or some other method so that it cannot be disassembled.  It all depend on where you got the stock from and what model it is.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:49:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine was the type that the car stock WAS the buffer tube (integral tube). It unscrewed with no trouble at all. I think it was made by Oly arms.
The stock was blind pinned in the open position, but the pins obviously didn't go into the buffer area.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you trying to shorten or lengthen the stock? also who made it as that will help.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I am having a machine shop produce CAR stock tubes with a threaded hole ONLY in the shortest position.

The idea was to sell it to the many folks that have requested a fixed short CAR stock instead of the fully extended stock.

I had hoped that people could just remove the buttstock from one and attach it to my new buffer tube with an Allen head screw.

BUT

It seems there must be a law on the books that says the pin must be forever pinned and not removable. I would not think a threaded hole and bolt would be very collapsible but the BATF probably thinks otherwise.

mzzlebrk
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#6]
If already in a machine shop, have the 1st hole threaded, have the tube made w/o any other attachment "holes" or on already made tubes "Fill" the other holes in the stock so that the tube is collapsible shaped, but has only 1 usable attachment pt.  That stock is now fixed.  The fill, must be permenent though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Each manufacturer seems to have a different way of pinning these things. Some have full size buffer tubes even.

For example, my DPMS started out as a real CAR stock, was filled up with epoxy and then double blind-pinned. Oh, and they also epoxied the nut to the tube! (WTF!)
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If already in a machine shop, have the 1st hole threaded, have the tube made w/o any other attachment "holes"
View Quote

Thats the basic plan to have one hole in the shortest position threaded with no other holes. I was also thinking about a second or third threaded hole so that you could "FIX" it into a longer position.

I don't see how this could be thought of as adjustable. Nobody is going on a shooting spree with an Allen wrench to stop mid shooting spree and adjust the stock.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to have a collapsible stock (M-4 preferably) that I could set with a screw. I was looking at the Fulton Armory adjustable Guardian stock but the shortest length (8") is a little too long (.75") for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The RRA fixed stock is blind pinned.  I had to drill out the pins and the stock came right off.  To put on the Cav Arms grey telestock in fixed position, which was shorter than the RRA(remember this is an A2 tube), I had to drill a hole just up from the stock one and cut down the screw to fix the telestock.  I will not pin it back as their is no need because the stock can never be shorter than the A2 tube.  I would be interested in the pinned shortened car stock though.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I have no experience with the CAR stocks, but I noticed this week in gun tests magazine, a DPMS stock that seemed to be pinned for civilian use by using a threaded pin and an exposed nut??

I can not be sure, the picture was not close enough to tell, but it sure caught my eye.  You may want to look in to it and see what they are doing at DPMS.  What I think I saw and the truth may be different.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#12]
i like the idea. although i would make it fully adjustable so i could set the length to anything and clamp it down. handy so the gun can "grow" with my kids.
and on the plus side, a stock that requires tools to adjust might get FUD approval for post ban weapons.

if it works out and is a good design i would be in for atleast 3.... for the children.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top