Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2003 2:15:23 PM EDT
I want a basic 20" A2 upper, I was thinking of ordering one from JT. Opinions please ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure it _really_ has an A2 barrel.  That means the thin contour under the handguards, a '5.56 chamber' and a chromed bore and chamber.

Bushmaster sells these, but may or not have any in stock.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I would HIGHLY recommend an Armalite Barrel set up. Bushys are very good as well, but as of lately their quality control has been a bit, well, on the light side. There are several posts on here lately about the front site post not being indexed properly, making it necessary to run your rear site all the way to the right to get on paper. This seams to be a problem mainly with parts ordered rather than complete weapons. I personally know of 4 complete uppers that were purchased ( 2 mine ) that had to be sent back due to repairs needed for this. My two uppers were bought a year apart and had the same issue. the other two were a friends.
I have had and have 2 Armalites now that were built up the same way and never had a problem with them. I truely Believe they have better quality control. However you will wait most likely for one. 4-6 weeks right now Im told. BUT I happen to know that there is a shipment of barrels, uppers, and rifles coming in real soon I believe. you may be able to get in on it if you call them.
Just my $.02, dont want to offend any bushy owners, Im one 2.
cp
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got an RRA 20" upper thru ADCOfirearms and am very pleased with the performance/price. This is an HBAR profile, however.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#4]
i too have thought about a RRA but it isnt chrome lined
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]
So is the JT upper a waste of money ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Which J&T upper?  J&T sells parts from different manufacturers so you need to be more specific.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally I would buy the post ban bushy A2 profile barrel, bolt, and carrier and then add something like a Rock River A2 upper receiver. Then you, a local smith or fellow arfcommer can barrel and headspace check your new upper for ya. I like chromed lined barrels and 5.56 chambers, but hate the damned heavy barrels since I had KKF turn my hbar down to A2 profile. The gun balances so much better now. Do yourself a favor and get the bushy A2 profile barrel and if you don't want chromed lined and 5.56 chamber, get somebody else's barrel and have KKF turn it down for you, its worth it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a 20" upper (A2 upper rec w/ 20" Heavy barrel) from JT.  Love it.  They use shaw barrels, and mine's a tack driver.  Not chrome lined though(only bad thing I can say about it), but I've had no problems whatsoever out of it.  If you have to go chrome lined and can wait, the JT customer service rep said they are going to have them later this year.  Their customer service is like a sore pecker; you can't beat it.  I'm going for 16" CAR kit from them next (they do have the 16" barrels chromed lined)if my wife will ever give me any money again.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I would order a 20" gov't profile barrel from Bushmaster.  In fact, you could order the whole upper and they will build it for you.  It will be more expensive than J&T but you'll get the gov't profile.  If you are not concerned with the HBAR/gov't profile then wait a couple of weeks and order a chrome-lined 20" from J&T because the last I heard they are 2-3 weeks out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#10]
preban or postban?
I can get you a colt A2 hbar complete with only 300rd through it for $450
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#11]
The JT upper I was considering is a 20" A2 pre ban. I didn't know you could get em chrome lined. The lower I have is a pre ban bushy. But I really don't care if the upper and lower are from the same manufacturer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Call Quantico Arms...they're a stocking Armalite dealer, and probably have a 20" A2 in stock...worth a try, anyway.

[url]www.quanticoarms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The JT upper I was considering is a 20" A2 pre ban. I didn't know you could get em chrome lined. The lower I have is a pre ban bushy. But I really don't care if the upper and lower are from the same manufacturer.
View Quote

Chrome-line 20" barrels are coming soon, 2-3 weeks according to Jesse.  You may want to check with him to see if anything has changed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys for the advice. I went and ordered a 20" Govt Profile 1-7" upper from Bushmaster. Can wait until it arrives.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#16]
ralbano,

How much did you pay?

Thank you

CRC
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#17]
The upper was $ 395($ 411 shipped), without bolt carrier group and the charging handle.
Now I need to sell one of my uppers.

Anyone looking for a Bushy shorty upper with an AK brake ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top