Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2003 8:52:56 AM EDT
I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but I'm having a hard time finding the right words under the search function.

I'm looking to build and SPR but have no idea what upper and lower combination I should start with.  The rest of the parts are easy.  So, in your opinion, who makes the best uppers and lowers and why?  Rank them if you can.  And who should I avoid?

I also have a local dealer that stocks Olympic lowers.  Are they any good?  

The only AR that I have is a Pre-ban Colt 6601 HBar Match that I mated a Colt 16" M4 Upper assembly to.  The color of the finishs don't match, but it's a nice and tight fit.  And that's what I'm looking for.

Finally, does anyone know who sells Colt stripped lowers at a decent price?

Thanks!
-Red-
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 different makes of AR's. Colt, Bushmaster and Rock River.

Best fit and finish?

Rock River.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm starting a project with matched Les Baer upper and lower. You can get plain Black Hard Anodize or add his "Bear Coat™ protective all-weather firearm finish" which gives a glossy black finish. I'm ordering the plain anodize. The machining and fit of Baer components is reputed to be very fine but pricy. --RR
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
The Oly lower will lock up your upper real tight.  I don't mind a upper/ lower fit that is  a bit loose, but the Oly feels like it is all one piece. It is growing on me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have 3 different makes of AR's. Colt, Bushmaster and Rock River.

Best fit and finish?

Rock River.
View Quote

I agree, I have had two Colts
I own an Oly and a RRA. and the RRA is by far the best.
I bought a matched upper and U.S. Proerty marked NM Lower from Legal Transfers and the fit is super tight. Great price and great product.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You are correct Wes.  I am fully aware of the laws and have read most, if not all, of your post regarding SPR's.

If you re-read my original post, you'll note that I already have a pre-ban Colt lower.  I still have yet to decide if I want to stay as close to original as possible leaving it threaded for a two port Ops Inc. brake, if I can get one.  Or, settle for pining/welding on a four port or other brake.

I'm just looking at all of my options and what is going to produce the most accurate rifle.  Even if I can't match the real thing part for part.  If I understand it correctly, I'd have to purchase a Class III M16 lower if I really wanted to duplicate the real thing.

I was hoping to get in touch with you guys in the near future to discuss this project further.  Or, am I doing something wrong???

-Red-
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm starting a project with matched Les Baer upper and lower. You can get plain Black Hard Anodize or add his "Bear Coat™ protective all-weather firearm finish" which gives a glossy black finish. I'm ordering the plain anodize. The machining and fit of Baer components is reputed to be very fine but pricy. --RR
View Quote

Roadrunner,

I was looking at LBC and like that option a lot.  It looks to be a real tight setup.  But, I'm concerned about compatibility with other upper or lower combinations.  I know 99.9% of the time, the LBC upper will sit on the LBC lower.  But in a pinch, do you know if you would be able to mix and match given that the two pin holes are drilled only with respect to each other?

Also, where did you order the receivers?  Or did you go direct to Les Baer?

Please keep me informed.  Thanks!

-Red-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top