Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2003 6:26:10 PM EDT
I have heard and seen many good things about Rock River Arms. Do they walk on water as I have heard or is it BS?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:44:15 PM EDT
From what I've read on here I'm sold...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:45:50 PM EDT
Nobody has walked on water in over 2000 years. Having said that, my experiences with RRA have been excellent. I bought a RRA NM lower first. It arrived and functioned flawlessly with any upper I tried. I decided to upgrade the trigger in an AR and got the RRA NM trigger. It isn't easy to install this wrong, but I figured out how to do it. I called them and after asking the right questions, they decided (since I ansewred wrong) it must be defective and shipped a replacement. Asked me to ship the other one back. No hurry. New one arrived and oops. It was installation error. I got it right, it works great. Decided to keep the other for another AR. Called them and they said keep it at a discounted price. Got interested in hipower shooting so I ordered a NM upper from them. Specified the sight types and other stuff and it arrived on schedule. In my first attempt at hipower shooting, in the prone stage (admit it was reduced course 200 yards) I was in the 9 or 10 ring every shot. Naw, no walk on water. But I would do business with them again if I needed something they make. And I wouldn't worry a bit about the quality or customer service.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:49:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:03:07 PM EDT
I have a serious beef with Rock River - I don't own any of their products and they don't give out free samples![;D] I'm planning on purchasing from them soon. I hear nothing but great things.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:30:45 PM EDT
I got a A-3 SS DCM-forgery, M4 and a midlength Carbine all run great. [:)>]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:31:10 PM EDT
The closest I can come to a gripe about Rock River is that the finish on their receievers does not appear to be quite as durable as Colt or Bushie. On the plus side tho is that the metal work under the finish is significantly smoother and less tool marked than either the Bushie or DPMS pieces I've bought during the last two years. Since I'm not particularly hard on my rifles any more, the finish on the Rock River stuff will probably do me just as well as the other pieces I've got. Oh yeah, if you should order a Chrome lined M4gery barrel, make sure it's chrome lined before you install it. I didn't, and got stuck with a non lined barrel that I paid the extra bucks for chrome for. Whether this was Rock River or the suppliers fault I have no way to know. For all I know, it could have been the barrel makers screwup. Anyway check out the chrome lining BEFORE you install.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:36:32 PM EDT
I had a bit of a mix up and a substantial delay on an order, but once they realized their mistake, it was corrected quickly. I bought one of the their 6 position M4 stocks. THE most rattle free stock Ive seen outside of the Vltor.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:51:53 PM EDT
They don't T-number their uppers! : ) ? no I really like RRA rifles and more importantly parts.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:03:12 PM EDT
Bastards got me hooked on black rifles...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2003 4:12:29 AM EDT by new-arguy]
Only bad thing I can think of is they put out a batch of flat top upper recievers that were not in spec. Instead of admitting the problem and fixing it, they made up an incredible story that became quite gigantic about how their recievers were the new spec and that all other companies were tooling up to switch to this new spec. All of this was of course total BS. to this day I have no idea why they might have done that, it just didnt make any sense at all. But they did do it?!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:50:08 PM EDT
I have one of those out of spec uppers and my throw levers are quite difficult to lock all the way down. Other than that RRA is good stuff. IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 12:35:48 AM EDT
My RRA AR is my favorite, tight as a 16 yo virgin....
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:28:23 AM EDT
I liked my RRA 2001 LEGP so much that I have since bought two RRA stripped lowers. Now it looks like one might soon be a candidate for a RDIAS! Overall, RRA's fit and finish is at least as good as Colt or Bushmaster. I'm still a Bushmaster fan though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:37:52 AM EDT
Their rifles are all black.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:58:41 AM EDT
They don't offer their mid length in chrome lined. [:(]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:02:19 AM EDT
I can't say anything bad about them at all. Just finished building an AR using mostly RRA parts. Awesome quality, I'm sold on their stuff. Top-shelf fit and finish. While I'm passing out kudos, I also highly recommend Pete-in-NH as the best source for RRA parts. Great prices & F-A-S-T shipping. RRA & Pete-in-NH [b]WILL[/b] be getting more of my money in the future...
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:16:22 AM EDT
I can say something bad: Quality = excellent Availability = sucks, sucks, sucks. I have had 2 plain Jane, A3 carbine complete w/ bolt uppers on order from RRA via Pete (at Legal Transfers in NH) for over 2 months. NO WORD YET AS TO WHEN THEY WILL BE SHIPPED! I have 2 of the RRA NM lowers and they are the best lowers I've ever used, so don't accuse me of RRA bashing. I just wish somebody at RRA would GET OFF THEIR ASS and build my uppers. The industry-wide standard lame excuse for crap like this is "parts availability problems", I know you've all heard it. Well...if that's the problem...FIRE your old parts vendors and find some new ones!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:43:27 AM EDT
I don't rant about past problems UNTIL someone like you asks. Yes, I'm the only one in the world that got junk product AND service from Rock River (I posted this about a year ago when someone asked). Two years ago, I ordered a stripped Rock River lower from Gunsmoke in Florida. The receiver had the left wall of the magazine well 0.010" thinner than two Bushmasters, a Colt SP1, and two M-16A1 receivers that I could compare to. Both inside walls of the magazine well had horizontal machine marks (20/inch). The pistol grip screw threaded hole was located too far to the rear causing a gap between the front of the pistol grip and and the receiver (this was with BM, Colt, and USGI pistol grips). Lastly, the serial number and lettering on the left side of the receiver was fading gradually from left to right. Gunsmoke Inc didn't want to hear anything about this. He said to contact Rock River. Rock River female phone person didn't seem to know anything about anything. After several phone and E-mails (and weeks), I got a satisfactory replacement. Since then, I'm staying with Bushmaster, PWA (if I can find anymore), and probably Eagle Arms.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:03:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter: They don't offer their mid length in chrome lined. [:(]
View Quote
damned straight!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:46:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wolfpack: My RRA AR is my favorite, tight as a 16 yo virgin....
View Quote
There is such a thing nowadays??
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:47:04 PM EDT
^ [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:01:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Wolfpack: My RRA AR is my favorite, tight as a 16 yo virgin....
View Quote
Whats a VIR VIR VIR-GIN?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 12:10:16 PM EDT
IIRC, they FUBARed the 2002 LEGP big time. I don't know how to search that far back, but it was MAJOR.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 12:29:04 PM EDT
I think RRA overall puts out a good product, but their QC appears to be hit-or-miss sometimes. I have an RRA upper purchased from Sableco that has a rather obvious tool-chatter mark just below the ejection port, running the entire length of the port. The dust-cover hides it when open, but it's there nonetheless. Shame on RRA and Sable for letting a blemished receiver outt. The barrel on this same upper was WAY under-torqued and the alignment pin was so loose you could wiggle it with your fingers. Thankfully I have a buddy that's a machinist, and we solved these problems fairly easily. I also have an RRA 9mm upper that required my JRW mag blocks to be altered before it would run right. Said blocks had previously been set up with a Colt upper and everything worked great, so I'd say RRA's 9mm uppers are "Colt-pattern" but not necessarily identical. Shoots great, though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:56:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hardcase: IIRC, they FUBARed the 2002 LEGP big time. I don't know how to search that far back, but it was MAJOR.
View Quote
The 2002 LEGP was a DPMS.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:20:50 PM EDT
Heard from a guy in the industry that they backdoor Armalite receivers. Not sure exactly what he meant by this. I know there are only a couple of companies that forge receivers for everyone. So the whole this brand is better than that brand is really nonsense. Unless of course you are talking about Hesse or ASA.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:26:01 PM EDT
RRA's customer service sucks a$$! You order a rifle they tell you 4 weeks. 6 weeks later you call and they say "2 more weeks!" Then, they don't inform you when your package ships (this is the same time when they are supposed to charge you) and then they ship it COD! When you call to ask what the hell is going on with your order they act all pissy like whining maggots...but the rifle is very high quality... B9
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:32:17 PM EDT
My only problem with an RRA was that the fake flash suppressor came loose on my chrome-lined M4 barrel. Other than that, my uppper was fine.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:02:34 PM EDT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally Posted By hardcase: IIRC, they FUBARed the 2002 LEGP big time. I don't know how to search that far back, but it was MAJOR. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The 2002 LEGP was a DPMS.
View Quote
DPMS stepped up to the plate after RRA unilaterally & arbitrarily stopped talking to the people who were organizing the 2002 LEGP. I guess that the staff could probably find the whole history & post it but they probably don't want to do that because it will make their new enemies look good.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:11:18 PM EDT
G How did you like the look of the fake suppressor? Good, Bad? I would like something fixed on the end of mine but muzzle breaks seam to blow my ears out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:24:42 PM EDT
I can say a few bad things about them. RRA Lowers tend to be the most common lowers used by whoever is supplying the FARC and ELN G's with weapons. If I get Kacked by a G carrying an AR, its more than likely built on a RRA lower. Cant get much worse than that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:32:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:33:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Originally Posted By hardcase:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally Posted By hardcase: IIRC, they FUBARed the 2002 LEGP big time. I don't know how to search that far back, but it was MAJOR. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The 2002 LEGP was a DPMS.
View Quote
DPMS stepped up to the plate after RRA unilaterally & arbitrarily stopped talking to the people who were organizing the 2002 LEGP.
View Quote
Consider who RRA was dealing with. Maybe they had good reason to back out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:25:10 PM EDT
I was going to mention the same thing about the 2002 LEGP not being the sole fault of RRA. I dont know enough about what happened to say I know what hapened, but I know enough to know that Im not going to point the finger at Rock River knowing whom they had to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:40:31 PM EDT
"Something bad about Rock River". There. I said it, & that's that!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:53:24 AM EDT
Aimless, gus, new-arguy, & Master_Blaster, it wasn't anti who was dealing with them. It was his associate. RRA wouldn't return calls or faxes. As I said, resurrect those threads for the straight scoop.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:23:42 AM EDT
With my varminter, after I shoot a hundred shots at the range w/out cleaning, my 5-shot groups will open up to 5/8" at a hundred yards [:(]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:24:13 AM EDT
Hmmm... well, I guess my experiences aren't as good as others. My first RRA was the 2001 LEGP, with the rail problem. I had to file the inside of the rails on my ARMS #40 to get it to fit. Next RRA purchase was a stripped lower, with the intention of building a 9mm AR. I had my local dealer place the order - it was ordered on a Monday and they said "it could be there by the end of the week". It was on speakerphone, and I was there - I heard it myself. Well, long story short, it finally came around 6+ weeks later after numerous other calls to RRA (some in my presense) where they promised and broke ship dates. I was thinking that "it could be there by the end of the week" implied either that week or early the next week at the latest, but it really meant "it could be there by the end of the week or two months from now - we have no idea". Well, I finally got home and was able to try it out - only about 1/4 of the USGI mags I had would drop free - the mag well was very tight. After the hassle I went to get the thing in the first place, and because it was going to be a 9mm gun anyway, I didn't bother to try getting a replacement. Next, I ordered one of the 9mm uppers. I ordered this from SableCo and from what I heard back from Donnie, it seemed like they were giving him the same runaround as I experienced with my lower. He didn't say so directly, but he also gave me lots of ship dates that never happened. First, RRA was apparently saying they were out of barrels, then bolts, then mag blocks, etc. I think this one took a few months from start to finish. I can't say for certain (like I can with the lower) that the missed dates were given to Donnie by RRA (and thus their fault) or something he put together, but given my past experiences, I'll go with RRA's bad. The 9mm setup is also quite finicky - lots of failures, even with colt factory mags. Others have reported similar problems with the RRA uppers - I haven't heard as many complaints with the genuine colt 9mm uppers. So... with me, RRA is pretty much 0 for 3. One thing I can recommend with a certainty - if you want it anytime soon, don't order direct from RRA. Order from one of their distributors, and only if they have it in stock. Apparently they give even their larger distributors the same BS runaround as for the smaller, one item, orders. Rocko
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:56:16 AM EDT
Rocko's post reverberates my experience. Coinkydink? I doubt it! Those folks at RRA need to get their crap together! When people see my RRA and are interested, I push them to buya Bushy b/c Bushy at least knows how to handle their customers! RRA should be overstating their wait times, not understating them! B9
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 1:45:49 PM EDT
My one and only experience with Rock River products has been good and bad. I bought a flat top 20" varmint model from a dealer at the local gun show about this time last year. Had zero issues until I had it DuraCoated. Now when the bolt locks back after the last round the charging handle kicks back about 2 inches from my nose. It seems that during the machining process someone missed cutting the notch for the latch. Havent attempted to contact them to correct it as I dont want to go thru the hassle of having to have the whole thing recoated again. It's not a big issue for sure and the weapon is very tight and it shoots sub MOA with federal XM193s so I'll probably live with it until the charging handle breaks my nose.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:22:02 PM EDT
"Something bad about Rock River" - how's that?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:12:41 PM EDT
I got an out of spec. carbine from them in 2001. I had to do the file route with my ARMS BUIS. I got the stupid BS story from RRA. Anyway, I do not lose sleep at night. I just buy Armalite now. Look, I have never been to RRA, or to any of the manufacturers, but based on my experiences with other similar industries, I think that many people may have an inflated idea of how grand an operation a setup like RRA may be. I mean, what are we talking about? 10-15 employees? A medium machine shop? 5,000-10,000 sq. ft. of space? Lets face it, RRA is probably a very small outfit on a shoestring budget. They are growing and they are making mistakes. You may choose to cut them some slack based on that premis. Again, let me say that all of this is speculation. I have never been to RRA. It may be much more than I imagine. However, I have been to many other operations that made good products and had some snazzy literature and some cool graphics on the web only to discover a rented hole in the wall. Also, my RRA looks nice, functions fine and seems to do the job without fuss.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:18:52 PM EDT
I just got an NM lower from Pete a few weeks ago that's just fine [i]except[/i] it's just a bit tight around the rear pin. Takes a light tap with a rubber mallet on the FA to get it to seat fully and it needs to be rapped over my knee to get it to separate. This is on a Bushie upper but it was similar with all the other uppers I tried with it as well. Other than that it's a dream, especially the trigger...
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:29:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DarkNite: I just got an NM lower from Pete a few weeks ago that's just fine [i]except[/i] it's just a bit tight around the rear pin. Takes a light tap with a rubber mallet on the FA to get it to seat fully and it needs to be rapped over my knee to get it to separate. This is on a Bushie upper but it was similar with all the other uppers I tried with it as well. Other than that it's a dream, especially the trigger...
View Quote
I have a matched pair of a RRA flat top and a "U.S. Property" marked lower that are also extremely tight. The front takedown pin is also estremely difficult to push out. I susually have to pry it a little with a flat head screw driver to get it to come out. It's kind of a PITA when you want to do maintenace on the rifle as it doesn't just flip open like my other ARs, but it's not a big deal to me though. It is the tightest set I have out of several Bushmaster, Olympic, DPMS, and Rock River ARs I have in my collection. I haven't used it in any harsh environments or in any rough scenarios, so I don't know if a rifle that tight in that particular way would be adversely affected performance wise. I wouldn't think it woud as it doesn't seem to bind any moving parts. We'll have to see.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 12:35:28 AM EDT
If you are around the business long enough you will find something to complain about ALL AR manufacturers. Yes that includes, Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS, Olympic and RRA. I won't even mention Colt... :-) Some get better and some disappear... Just something to think about...
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:30:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/26/2003 7:30:35 AM EDT by sgtstinger]
Originally Posted By PSYWAR1-0: I can say a few bad things about them. RRA Lowers tend to be the most common lowers used by whoever is supplying the FARC and ELN G's with weapons. If I get Kacked by a G carrying an AR, its more than likely built on a RRA lower. Cant get much worse than that.
View Quote
Would you care to translate all that(FARC & ELN G's? terrorist groups? drug runners?) into something a knuckle-dragger like me would understand? Not being sarcastic, I'd really like to know. Please, break it down for me...
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:13:34 AM EDT
Am I really reading people bitching about the fitment of their upper/lowers being too tight? I avoided AR's for many years for just the opposite, poor fitment to the loose side. Rediculously so in some cases and from manufacturers that some people here put on a pedestal routinely.I'll buy Rock River first and if A,B,or C comes along at a significant savings I'll consider them on a per item basis but Rock River has won my loyalty and deservedly so. Oh yea, the last RRA lower parts kit I bought was short a takedown pin detent spring,pivot pin detent spring and mag release button.Shit happens.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:24:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter: They don't offer their mid length in chrome lined. [:(]
View Quote
Yeah, that Sucks. Comon RRA, go Chrome or go home, and give us some LW barrel profiles (not M4) and some stuff in 1X7 twist.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:55:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By rightwingnut:
View Quote
Yeah, that Sucks. Comon RRA, go Chrome or go home, and give us some LW barrel profiles (not M4) and some stuff in 1X7 twist.
View Quote
They do have some chrome lined midlength barrels. Pete has them. [url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=173396&w=searchPop]Legal Transfers[/url]
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:01:47 AM EDT
I saw that. But they are HBAR. Getting closer, though, patience will pay off, or I'll buy one and send it to Kurt for the Atkins plan.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top