Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2003 12:29:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
300 Below is probably the best cryo company out there. As to if it works or not... One of my 14.5" bbls got a little better accuracy after I installed my SIR and had the Cryo work done, but that may have been more due to the freefloating than the cryo. And yes, the penguin is sweet...

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The cryogenic treatment works well - I have had it done to two barrels. It makes the steel more consistant in the machining process, no hard or soft spots when being turned down. Also seems to make a barrel easier to clean as well as more accurate.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a .300 MAG barrel through DPMS and it came back more accurate and cleaning easier.

I think it works (and I hear it works better on Ar-15's as the AR-15's heat faster and cryo accurizing is supposed to make the barrel shoot more consistently and accurately while heating [through more even heating])
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Years ago when cryo first became available some of the gun magazines took several barrels and shot them before and after cryo treatment. They came to the conclusion that it's more or less a craps shoot in that some of the barrels shot marginly better and some shot marginly worse.

Seems more like something you'd do to benchrest rifle rather then an AR. The best accuracy comes from the finely sharpening the shooter's mind followed by free floating the high quality barrel.

Link Posted: 7/5/2003 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Used [b]BlackStar[/b] here in Houston, years ago on a 308 cal. Ruger M77VT, which I was planning to be my long range rifle.

Had the stainless-steel barrel cryo'd and electro-polished.

Rifle suffered from a stock twisted barrel, limiting it's actual long range use, (not the rifle's fault, but me, being too stupid to know that, no.1: a Rem 700 makes a beter platform and no. 2: that a custom barrel w/ fast twist is only real way to reach 1000 yards sub-minute), but the processing (cryo & electro-polish) of this particular rifle extended it's sub-MOA accuracy from 500 yards out to 700 yards. A definate improvement.

The real improvement tho, IMO, was that the electro-polishing removed all the burrs and rifle cleaned like a dream, that and the fact that cryo'ing was/is a definate way to extend the LIFE expectancy of a barrel.

My current LR rifle has a barrel cryo'd by Krieger and while I have no way to compare how it would be if it wasn't cryo'd, I definately believe it will benefit in the longer life aspect, and IS "worth the money"......

my 2cents,
Mike  
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#8]
A premium barrel company will cryo their barrel blanks before they begin the machining -makes for a smoother and easier process. Having a barrel cryoed again, after fitting and finishing, might be unnecessary. But it seems like an inconsequential expense if you have already sank several hundred dollars into a premium barrel. No matter how fine the finish is on a barrel, there will be microscopic burrs and ridges. The cryogenic treatment supposedly turns them brittle, causing them to disappear as the barrel wears.
Cryogenic treatment will make a barrel last longer, maybe upwards of 25% to 35% barrel life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top