Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2003 1:02:15 AM EDT
Anyone have any advice?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:07:36 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KNS154&storeid=1&image=triggerpinar.jpg[/url]
Could try this.

Or could get a set of large pin colt  parts and have the holes machined to the bigger diameter.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#2]
How worn out? How much play is there in the holes now? I had a lower that the holes were a little on the loose side and ended up using the little gizzmo that brownelles sells that has 2 bars that tie the trigger and hammer pins together and keeps them from turning. Sorry I forgot the name for now and I'm at work so I can't look it up.
If they are really bad you could have a machinist or gunsmith sleeve it back to the right size using another receiver for the measurments or getting a blueprint of it.

edited cause I was beat to my relpy by a few seconds. and thats what I used on the link!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
j3 and chuck1 pretty much covered it.

The KNS locking pins are great to [i]prevent [/i]wear, but if you've already got significant looseness, they are just going to pass future wear along to the other set of holes.

I've seen this happen on a lot of M16s. Repair possibilities are:

--Have the holes welded up and redrilled. Expensive, and no C2 smiths I know are doing it anymore because it's too easy to screw up when welding aluminum.

--Have the holes redrilled and bronze bushings inserted. This would be my favorite solution, and most any smith can do it. It allows you to retain your present fire-control components.

--Have the holes drilled to the larger Colt oversize and switch to Colt hammer/trigger/disconnector. The Colt parts work the same, but are harder to find and more expensive than milspec. And many aftermarket triggers aren't made in that size.

HTH. And good luck!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
If this is not an M16 odds are that you may be better off buying a new reciever.

(if it is pre-ban you may be able to have them re-run you a new reciever for minimal ($100-$150 cost).

Otherwise the bushings are a good idea.  I have seen a reciever that had over 350,000 rounds on it with stainless bushings- and running strong after you put the bushings in you shouldn't have any more trouble.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
--Have the holes redrilled and bronze bushings inserted. This would be my favorite solution, and most any smith can do it. It allows you to retain your present fire-control components.
View Quote

Any details on this stuff?  Is it something that a tinkerer can WECSOG together, and where do you get the bronze bushings? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
there are some slightly larger pins on the market today. [url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13800&s=32946#32946[/url]
or
[url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7589&s=18898#18898[/url]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
GG&G in Tucson Arizona repaired mine by by installing small hardened steel inserts. They do GREAT work, mostly cool class 3 stuff for the US Gov. and law enforcement.
RATS
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If this is not an M16 odds are that you may be better off buying a new reciever.

(if it is pre-ban you may be able to have them re-run you a new reciever for minimal ($100-$150 cost).

Otherwise the bushings are a good idea.  I have seen a reciever that had over 350,000 rounds on it with stainless bushings- and running strong after you put the bushings in you shouldn't have any more trouble.
View Quote

Thanks for the responses everyone. My rifle is a pre-ban Bushmaster. Do they rerun recievers? I've head you can do this but it has to be done by the original manufacturer
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have fixed some of my own in the past. If you want to sell it let me know.

cruizer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top