Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2003 10:05:32 AM EDT
Well waiting on the final pieces of the puzzle to get here and everything has been pretty much decided upon, except for the stock.

M4 Non-collapsible or A2 Buttstock is what I have available and have no plans to spend any addition cash for a new stock, except for a C1 by Cav Arms.

Not sure if this is completely an asthetic decision or functional concern yet.

Need some insight from those those have them.

TIA
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#1]
For a sniper rifle, go with what's comfortable. I prefer the Vltor Modstock. Best cheek weld around.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=8547[/img]

This is a picture of Wes's guns. Awesome setup.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice Stock, but no thanks.  I would have to buy the stock, $125 after shipping, not including the COLT buffer tube I would need.  Not looking to spend an additional $200 on a stock.

Legally I can not put a either Vltor stock on my rifle without modification.  Because the Rifle Length stock can extend, it's considered collapsible.

I have been guilty of this too, but my question was about either a M4 or A2 stock assembly.    
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice Stock, but no thanks.  I would have to buy the stock, $125 after shipping, not including the COLT buffer tube I would need.  Not looking to spend an additional $200 on a stock.

Legally I can not put a either Vltor stock on my rifle without modification.  Because the Rifle Length stock can extend, it's considered collapsible.

I have been guilty of this too, but my question was about either a M4 or A2 stock assembly.    
View Quote

I think you don't totally understand the rifle modstock. The rifle modstock will fit either the rifle buffer tube (of any manufacturer) or it can fit onto a carbine buffer tube (Colt/milspec only). When mounted to a rifle buffer tube, it is non-adjustable, legal for all post bans.

Wes sells them in a A2 length and now an A1 length.

Wes, do you have pictures of the A1 version yet?

ls
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#5]
How would the Vltor Rifle Stock secure to a Rifle Buffer Tube?  I will check the website again.  Anyhow it's an addition $120 I do not want to spend.  Rather put that money towards a ARMS #22 TRC ring mounted red dot optic.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How would the Vltor Rifle Stock secure to a Rifle Buffer Tube?  I will check the website again.  Anyhow it's an addition $120 I do not want to spend.  Rather put that money towards a ARMS #22 TRC ring mounted red dot optic.
View Quote

The boys at Vltor came up with a neat way mount the stock to a rifle buffer tube, the part needed is called a Butt Cap. Also, the rifle receiver extension does not need to be Colt. Any manufacturer will do.

[img]http://www.vltor.com/images/buttcap.jpg[/img]

ls
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I stand corrected! Thank You LS.  Still, the money would rather be spent elsewhere.  I Guess I could list the RRA A2 Buttstock and Bushmaster M4 Non-collapsible on EE to make up for the difference.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I stand corrected! Thank You LS.  Still, the money would rather be spent elsewhere.  I Guess I could list the RRA A2 Buttstock and Bushmaster M4 Non-collapsible on EE to make up for the difference.
View Quote

Either way, you'll be pleased with the results![:D]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Cav Arms A1 stock.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Agreed.  The A1 works very well for me.  Mine was bought many year ago from a board member for around $20 (including buffer tube, etc.).  I installed an A2 buttplate (with sharp checkering) and the A1's metal trap door.

IMHO, it's the perfect fixed stock.

But, I thought the Colt Enhance M4 was the perfect collapsable stock.  Then I added a light to my rifle.  I have a few SureFire lights floating around and it's hard to keep track of them all.  Those battery compartments now seem to make more sense....

Is your rifle going to be very battery dependent?  Maybe complete the rifle with an A1 stock and add a Vltor later when funds allow?

HTH

Where are the pics?
[:)]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#12]
That must be the new A1 length, huh?

I must admit I'm becoming Vltor convert.  Not that like the looks (I don't -- at least right now).  It's more a function over form deal.  (See above comments about having a light on the rifle -- I never worried about Aimpoint batteries, but lights are a different story....)

Thanks for the pics Wes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"It's more a function over form deal. "

THAT'S PROBABLY WHAT FOLKS SAID ABOUT THE AR15 40 YEARS AGO!

WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

True.

And pics of the Vltor (and now MSS it seems) being used by US soldiers overseas certainly doesn't hurt.

[;)]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I like having the trapdoor in the butt of my A2. I like having the cleaning kit always handy. I have needed it a couple times shooting Barnaul, to get the rod out and knock a case out of the chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top