Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2003 5:52:55 PM EDT
just finished installing my pri float tube on my spr and took it out to the range today. shot a total of 100rds in 3 shot groups since barrel was already broken in and only new part was the pri tube which was replacing an armalite free float tube.at the end of the day notice the carbon fiber part had come out of the metal part and was pinned against my pri front sight. the tube looked like it was only held in by some sort of glue. emailed pri and waiting to hear from the.seems that these 2 parts should of been held together with a screw or something.if an spr rail was installed it would have prevented it from coming out but i wonder if the end could flex. just thought i would give a heads up to everyone with the pri tube to look out for this. the product is good but i expected more from it. can email pictures to someone so they can post it if they want let me know at [email protected]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
send them to me , I'll host and post.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it a gen III tube (with big barrel nut)?

The same situation happened on gen I tube. It was caused by the high temperature in the K-Guard process (matte black finish). The heat caused the glue on the tube to get loose.

As a result of this, CRANE added 4 extra "monster nuts" to bond the tube and the nut together.

edit to add: call pri and send the tube back for a replacement.

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The same thing happened to my AR10(T) tube. The glue appeared to be still wet? What the hell?

According to Armalite, they use a two part epoxy and the epoxy was a bad batch.

ls
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Same thing happened to my Armalite M15A4T handguard that was recently purchased. I just epoxied it myself back together and it is holding up well so far. If I have any problems I'll send it back to Armalite.

I'm seriously considering drilling and tapping in some bolts to make it even stronger.

Good Shooting
Red
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#5]

I'm seriously considering drilling and tapping in some bolts to make it even stronger.

View Quote

That's the way to go. Do it on 2, 5, 7, and 11 o'clock positions (same as CRANE did this on their SPR).
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top