Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 7:50:58 AM EDT
I am trying to decide on getting an SBR (14.5")or just getting a 14.5 with a Gemtech Bi-Lock permanently mounted to the barrel to get 16", thus bypassing the paperwork and NFA process.

Do you measure the barrel minus the flash suppressor, like is my current SP-1 16" barrel 16" + the flash hider?

Are the 14.5" barrels 14.5" + the flash hider?

I wanted something shorter than what I have if I am going to mount a suppressor.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#1]
If you permanently attach the flash hider, the it is from the face of the bolt to the edge of the flash hider.  therefore, the 14.5 inch barrel with a welded on Gemtech bi-lock will be enough to satisify the require for 16inch.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]
So in actuality, my 16" SP-1 Barrel is really 16" + the birdcage flash unit?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, a 16" bbl is 16" long.  Any muzzle device will make it longer.  This is why folks have permanent muzzle devices on 14.5" M4 barrels, to get them out to 16" as required by the NFA.

One tiny correction to measuring length, the length is measured to the face of a [b]cocked bolt[/b], no firing pin sticking out the front.

Don't expect any barrel to measure .001" to its nomimal length either.

-- Chuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top