Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2003 5:15:11 PM EDT
Fellow ARFers. Here’s a project I did on a rainy/crappy weather day.

Currently I have two Vltor stocks, one Rifle Clubfoot and a Carbine Standard.  IMHO the Vltor stock is one of the best components available for the AR market. I pleased with the overall function and design of both stock buy found room for improvement.

For Example, the Carbine stock offers an excellent cheek weld and storage capabilities. One thing I don’t understand is why didn’t Vltor make a long accessory compartment for the Carbine stock? The current carbine compartment holds at least one AA and one 3-volt lithium battery per compartment. Or for those not using AA’s, two plus 3-volt lithium batteries per compartment. My believe Vltor should make a longer tube for the carbine to house at least two AA batteries or three 3-volt lithium.

So, yesterday I got creative, pulled out the tools and decided to try something different. I took the compartments off my Rifle Modstock and turned them into Ginny pigs for my carbine project. Originally, the rifle compartments have 6 inches of storage space. The Carbine Compartment has 3 ½ inches of storage space. My goal was to achieve maximum storage from a modified rifle compartment, but make it fit the Carbine Modstock.

First step was to cut the excess tube material off the rifle compartment and get it down to a workable size. The exact amount I cut off the tube was 1.5 inches. My plan was to seal one end of the compartment (the butt plate end) with a permanent cap and leave the front of the compartment open for access of accessories. I made the permanent cap out of aluminum. The caps were made on my 1960’s Craftsman Lathe, that I bought at a garage sale for $200. I machined the cap to a tight tolerance, so it would slide snuggly into the compartment’s bore. The cap has a flanged lid, turned to the same outer diameter of the tube. My final goal is to have the cap anodized (black) or Gunkote and then epoxy it into place.

Well the job was pretty simple to do, as long as you have a lathe and time. The compartment space available on the finish product is slightly more then 5 inches. The Final result allows for three plus lithium batteries and an Aimpoint battery or two AA’s with enough room for an Aimpoint battery.  Total time invested two hours. Cost: Whatever Vltor charges me for replacement rifle compartments. I’ll find that out first thing Monday morning when I call them and place an order.

Also, there’s another benefit in using modified rifle compartments. The portion of the compartment that is removed has the rear mounting leg. So, with the removal of the rear mounting leg, I now have access to the rear sling port. I actually like using the quick detachable sling swivel. But I know some prefer using slings like the CQB solution sling.

LS

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy cow that looks nice, I asked the same question when the stock first became available, I wish they'd make the compartment tubes longer to cover the length of the stock.
I think if you can get extra modular rifle length compartment tubes from Vltor many of us will buy the modified units from you, I certainly want a set [:)]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Lordstoner,

Nice work! [:D]

Keep us posted on how it works!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Really cool, how much to make a set for me?????????
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Really cool, how much to make a set for me?????????
View Quote

Wow, I just offered the concept, not to do a production run.

I wasn't planning to make any production piece, but I'll consider it. It pretty easy to make, as long as you have a lathe.

I'll check with Vltor tomorrow about buying a quantity of compartments.

Honestly, if I did build a small quantity of them, I would probably charge a couple of hours per set. I wish I had a CNC lathe, the caps could be pumped out within seconds.

LS
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Both the idea and the work are great.  I thought the VLTOR was nice from the get go and now.........Yehaaa!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I too felt the carbine tubes were just a tad too short when I first installed my parts.  Glad to see that someone is creatively solving the problem- Excellent job!  Does that make you the first one to manufacture aftermarket VLTOR accessories?  

As far as parts, everyone can just order the tubes themselves and cut to fit.  But you have got the market now on little endcaps- I'll take two when you decide to make a production run!

OR- [thinking]
What about just grinding off the "handle" of a factory VLTOR plug, and reusing that?  And because its so tight with the rubber, you probably wouldn't need to epoxy it in.  

Make that "One thousand and TWO" good uses for a Dremel...  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OR- [thinking]
What about just grinding off the "handle" of a factory VLTOR plug, and reusing that?  And because its so tight with the rubber, you probably wouldn't need to epoxy it in.  

Make that "One thousand and TWO" good uses for a Dremel...  
View Quote

That's probably a better idea yet. Yes, one can just remove the thumb latch and Smooth the cap down with a belt sander. To make the cap permanent, one can drill through the wall and and into the cap, then install a roll pin.

That's a lot cheaper and easier then my way. The only down side, the original caps go in deeper then then my aluminum caps, so storage space will be lessen.

Either way, Great Idea!

LS
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I would take a couple of end caps if you make them also!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
LordStoner -

Great idea.  I have a comment about your ACOG scope cover, however.  I chose to place mine with the tab facing down.  In this way it is much easier to grab the tab and pull off the cover if you have to in a hurry.

Also, with the tab down, you can use the BUIS on top of the scope without removing the cover.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LordStoner -

Great idea.  I have a comment about your ACOG scope cover, however.  I chose to place mine with the tab facing down.  In this way it is much easier to grab the tab and pull off the cover if you have to in a hurry.

Also, with the tab down, you can use the BUIS on top of the scope without removing the cover.
View Quote

Thanks!

When installed the scope cover on, I didn't plan for any "tactical advantage" for removal. I just put it on to cover the glass. But, thanks for the impute.

ls
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Lordstoner, w/o the rear screw hole mounts o that VLTOR tube, how secure is the rear portion of the tube?  Any movement?  And is there room to buffer those batteries, w/ rubber or foam?  Thanks -Sul2
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lordstoner, w/o the rear screw hole mounts o that VLTOR tube, how secure is the rear portion of the tube?  Any movement?  And is there room to buffer those batteries, w/ rubber or foam?  Thanks -Sul2
View Quote

With two or one mounting legs on the compartment, It's still soild as a rock. With the one mounting leg, I don't think it can be broken easily. There are no lips or edges to catch web gear. Maybe if you get a pry bar between the tube and the stock, one may be able to break the remaining support leg.

There is more then enough room for ear plug foam to buffer the batteries. You might have less room (1/4-inch) if you use the Vltor Cap.

When using AA's I tied Para cord to a piece of foam and place the tide foam first into the compartment. The theory is, with the compartment full, just pull the string and all the contents pull out.

You can tell I have to much time on my hands.

ls
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good question!  Though looking at the pics it looks like that half of the rear cover is covered by the stock.  So it looks like Lordstoner could probably machine some screw holes into the rear cover plate and secure them from the rear of the stock.  If the screws were flush to the stock it should be very secure and unnoticable.

Lordstoner what about making the the coverplates out of plastic?  Is that possible or is it too much hassle?

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good question!  Though looking at the pics it looks like that half of the rear cover is covered by the stock.  So it looks like Lordstoner could probably machine some screw holes into the rear cover plate and secure them from the rear of the stock.  If the screws were flush to the stock it should be very secure and unnoticable.

Lordstoner what about making the the coverplates out of plastic?  Is that possible or is it too much hassle?

View Quote

I don't think that is an issue. The compartment is plenty strong with the one mounting leg. If you drill, tap and screw everything together, it will defeat the purpose of the stock being "modular". In that case you can pay the $500 for the Crane stock.

Yes, the caps could be made out of plastic, like delron, but I don't know where to buy a bar of it?

ls
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think that is an issue. The compartment is plenty strong with the one mounting leg. If you drill, tap and screw everything together, it will defeat the purpose of the stock being "modular". In that case you can pay the $500 for the Crane stock.

Yes, the caps could be made out of plastic, like delron, but I don't know where to buy a bar of it?

ls
View Quote

Lordstoner,

I wasn't meaning to make it permanent but rather to give it the same amount of bolt down locations as the orginal unit.  It would still be modular like it was before.  Anyways, just an idea.

I'd definitely be interested in purchasing a set of end caps if you ever make a run of them.[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top