Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2003 6:01:50 PM EDT
Anyone here had any experience with this set up?
I just keep reading that the RIS is not very solid, it seems like an Aimpoint would not be able to hold zero on top of it..
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You have a better chance with the RAS, but I would keep my ranges short - 200yds or less.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Some say yes, some say no, some say yes but with a disclaimer... For a few bucks more, you can get the RAS II or a SIR system and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Trijicon reflex mounted on my [b]RAS[/b] for several years.  But I considered it a sub-200yd gun.  I [b]prefer[/b] reciever mounting.  Why give yourself any doubt?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with a cantilever mount, instead.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/p701aa5527921958e46bf970942ad1fdf/fd06fd82.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a RIS, and it feels pretty solid on my upper.

Then I added a vertical foregrip, and that "solidness" is gone.

Use a cantilever mount shown above, or get a free float RAS if you want to mount optics forward of the receiver and have a vertical foregrip.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Option #3....ARMS#38 MOD + RIS. Solid as a rock and you can mount your optics as far forward as you'd like.
[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/evilriflebest.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
...........or instead of the RIS go with a RAS!  But like stated above a few bucks more gets you the RASII or a bit more and there the SIR.  Mount anywhere ya want on those!  With some pro's and con's you can read EVERYWHERE on this site[:)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#8]
No , the Aimpoint ,or the EOtech, does not hold the zero if mounted forward on a RIS , above all if you have a vertical foregrip to hold the AR with your not-strong hand .

Mounting it on a RIS can be done , and it can work , but only for very close shooting , the POI'll not change really very much .

Best choice 'd be the FF RAS , this is rock solid indeed , even if I do not mount any optic on any kind of forend .

The RIS, RAS , RASII , FF RAS & SIR , are made to attach aimers,illuminators,flashlights & vertical foregrips , no optical sights.

PP out
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Option #3....ARMS#38 MOD + RIS. Solid as a rock and you can mount your optics as far forward as you'd like.
[url]http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/evilriflebest.JPG[/url]
View Quote

Nice! Postban, right? Why the scope for 9mm? ;)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:49:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted: Why the scope for 9mm?
View Quote

Right, at least an optical sight , why a scope ?

Also , why that scope is mounted so forward ?

How can you use it in that way ?

PP out
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/evilriflebest.JPG[/url]
View Quote

Nice! Postban, right? Why the scope for 9mm? ;)
View Quote

Its a 45. The scope is a 1.5 x 4.5 EER. Just as fast as a red dot but it gives me a little magnification for those 100yd shots...plus no batteries.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:07:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: Just as fast as a red dot ....
View Quote

Slacker,
no flame intended but pls let me doubt it .
PP out
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted: Just as fast as a red dot ....
View Quote

Slacker,
no flame intended but pls let me doubt it .
PP out
View Quote

Have you ever used a 1.5x forward mounted (scout) scope?
Why would a red dot be any faster than regular cross hairs on a low power varaiable? Paralux free you say?
Perhaps, but only by a very small fraction.

I prefer the EER (extended eye relief) scope because it gives me the option of magnafication for those long shots and lets me mount it forward of the receiver for a large field of view.
At 1.5x the field of view is enormous.

There was a thread in the Optics forum about five moonths ago on using a scout scope on an AR. Popular opinion was that it worked great...and I agree.

Sorry if none of this makes sense, I've been up since 4am and its past my bedtime.

G'night all.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#14]
The Brit's (SAS) had the same issue with "stability", se we (KAC) designed a new lower that fits both the Carbine RIS and an M4 RAS.  The new lower (P/N: 20033) has a rear clamp like the upper RAS and two dowel pins that the clamp (tighten with a 1/8" allen screw) pushes into the barrel nut cut-outs at 8 and 4 o'clock.  This makes the lower more secure, especialy if lots of pressure is applied to the Forward Pistol Grip, as well as help further stablize the upper.
However, if your barrel will accept a RAS, i.e., mil-spec carbine/A2 Rifle barrel profile, always go with a RAS.  The RAS is more stable for forend mounted optics.
The RIS is fine for what it was originally required to do.  For example, mount bore sighted IR Lasers.  Since these are used in conjuction with night vision goggles worn on the face and the weapon usualy fired from the hip or "over the sights", you can hit man-size targets all night long, but you can't shoot sub-moa groups using this method.  So when guys scout mount optics out there and fire from a bench, they see the degradation in group size when compared to upper receiver mounted optics.
ColdBlue sends...
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Cold Blue. That new RIS seems like it might work for me. I think I will look at other Aimpoint mounting options.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I see no point installing a RAS if you can't mount a sight forward.  You can add anything else to much cheaper Samco handguards.

TS
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Best choice 'd be the FF RAS , this is rock solid indeed , even if I do not mount any optic on any kind of forend .

The RIS, RAS , RASII , FF RAS & SIR , are made to attach aimers,illuminators,flashlights & vertical foregrips , no optical sights.

PP out
View Quote

Those two paragraphs contradict each other.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:Those two paragraphs contradict each other.
View Quote

What are you talking abt ?
Explain.
PP out
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best choice 'd be the FF RAS , [red]this is rock solid indeed , even if I do [u]not[/u] mount any optic on any kind of forend[/red].

PP out
View Quote

Those two paragraphs contradict each other.
View Quote

I stand corrected, I missed the word not in the first sentence.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Several units forward mount optics on the RIS and RAS...

I was once an unbeliver but I have seen some hard used guns with RAS's and forward mounted EOtechs that still hold their own.

PP is correct as usual in pointing out the FF RAS is the most stable platform, well until the URX and URXII release.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:49:22 AM EDT
[#21]
If one picture is worth a thousand words, check out page 7 of US News & World Report (June 23, 2003 issue).
Now its more likely that this Soldier's M4 has one of our M4 RAS's on it (one of the 125,000+ delivered to the Army so far), but it looks to me that his Aimpont is mounted on the RAS's top rail.
ColdBlue sends...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Like these, CB? [:D]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=10421[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=10420[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=258&iImageUnq=10423[/img]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#23]
What? No sirs Sergeant?
No sirs, Sir.

I like the cable ties, now that would really tighten things up and might also keep from loosing an Aimpoint in a parachute jump.

ColdBlue appreciates you posting the pics, I had not seen any of these.
Thanks...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What? No sirs Sergeant?
No sirs, Sir.
View Quote

[:D]

PP out
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I definetely think you can mount optics on RAS II and SIR without ANY problems since both combine additional strength from the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:53:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If one picture is worth a thousand words, check out page 7 of US News & World Report (June 23, 2003 issue).
Now its more likely that this Soldier's M4 has one of our M4 RAS's on it (one of the 125,000+ delivered to the Army so far), but it looks to me that his Aimpont is mounted on the RAS's top rail.
ColdBlue sends...
View Quote

Is Cold Blue stating that they had optics mounted forward on the M4 RAS, or that they has FF RAS and/or RAS II on their M4's?

TS
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ColdBlue sends...
View Quote

Is Cold Blue stating that they had optics mounted forward on the M4 RAS, or that they has FF RAS and/or RAS II on their M4's?

TS
View Quote

The optic is mounted forward on the M4 RAS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top