Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2003 1:58:34 AM EDT
this is probably a stupid question but is it ok to cut down a chrome lined barrel? I know m4 barrels come in 14.5 in. length but i wanted to cut a bushy 16in. ultra light down and perm. attatch a phantom fs for my pre-ban lower. I just wondered if the chrome lining would start to flake off at the cutting point, sorry for the silly question...phatboy
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:19:32 AM EDT
Its not a silly question, it pops up now and then. Yeah go ahead and cut. The process by which a bore is chromed is nothing like a bumper (for us ancients that remember chrome bumpers). Crowning can be a little trickier since the chrome can cause chatter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:00:44 AM EDT
I've not seen the Bushmaster lightweight 16" bbl. You can cut it, but you may not be able to mount anything after you do. Is the diameter, where you want to make the cut large enough to thread and mount anything? M16 "pencil" barrels are fatter where the threads are, not uniform diameter to the muzzle. -- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:40:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:01:11 PM EDT
thanks guys, I think that's what I'll do,turn down a chrome lined barrel that's already 14.5in. That sounds like the easiest and best route. Thanks again.....phatboy
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:46:59 AM EDT
From what I have seen I consider it unwise to cut a chrome lined barrel-(it can cause the bullet to keyhole starting at 25 yards) it can chip the chrome plating and once that happens as you fire it it starts accelerated wear on the plating and a resultant loss in accuracy to follow. When does it happen you ask-dunno for sure I have seen it happen on SOME AK's that right after it is done to within 2000 rounds and accuracy seems to go down pretty quick. For ARs it is touch and go the chrome plating when it is applied has to fade and not come to an abrupt end as it will as soon as you cut into it. On the few that I have seen, between 600-1000 rounds accuracy nose dives pretty quick. My advive is if you want a shorter barrel buy a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:48:40 PM EDT
Troy, phatboy said he was going to permanently attach the FS, so there's no way it can come loose. Bushy's website says the Superlight barrel tapers to 0.570" at the muzzle. Is this enough to thread, keeping in mind this means there would be a little more material than that at the "new" muzzle once its been chopped?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:54:05 PM EDT
I asked the very question of Kirk at KKF. He told me that he has cut down many Bushmaster 16" lightweights and has had no problem with any of them. But I did ask in the context of having him permanenly install a Vortex.
Top Top