Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 9:22:07 PM EDT
OK.  Can I use a bushmaster bolt with a rock river arms bolt carrier?  I like the latest "enhanced" bolt carriers from rock river arms but I have a bushmaster barrel and would want to use a bushmaster bolt - just to make sure.

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What is "enhanced" about them?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Basically they are not cutting the hammer slot in the bottom anymore (they are just like the M16 on the bottom ramp area) and this serves to surround the firing pin and also to make the carrier heavier (it is my opinion that keeping the bolt carrier group the same weight as the M16 will serve to keep the parts moving at the same rate as the weapon for which it was designed.  If you lighten the carrier you increase the speed at which the bolt carrier moves and increase the wear along with the potential for changing the energy transfer to the cartidge head from the extractor.).  Just my .02.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Go ahead and mix and match then.

As far as the weight difference goes, I believe the extra material on the back of the M16 carrier will make more of a weight difference than the hammer slot.  

Surrounding the firing pin can't hurt though [:)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate that.  I was wondering if that would be ok - didn't know if different manufacturers inside bolt carrier dimensions would be different and cause the bolt (and gas rings) to not seal correctly and/or the bolt notch in the carrier to not lockup the same with a bolt carrier and bolt from different manufacturers.  Have you done this before?

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't done it before, but they are made to the same specs, use the same gas rings, etc.  Even using different bolt/barrel manufacturers is OK unless there is something wrong with the parts.

The only possible exception might be Colt.  I don't think they changed specs that would matter in your case, but they changed things around so much that you never know - or at least I don't [:)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:20:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I haven't done it before, but they are made to the same specs, use the same gas rings, etc.  Even using different bolt/barrel manufacturers is OK unless there is something wrong with the parts.

The only possible exception might be Colt.  I don't think they changed specs that would matter in your case, but they changed things around so much that you never know - or at least I don't [:)]
View Quote

No, Colt hasn't changed any of the bolt/carrier dimensions[:D].  

Re the carrier cutaway areas I'm in total agreement w/SFC.  The closer you can get that assembly to the weight of an M16 setup, the more reliable function and less wear you'll get over time.

All my ARs have GI carriers with the sear trip shoulder cut back.  Started doing that back in 1978, and have seen no reason to stop it[:D]

Acquired a new DPMS lower a few weeks back, and it came with an unnotched hammer, which tells me that they've stopped the cutaway under the firing pin also.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you think of the quality of the dpms bolt carriers?  If you had your choice - which bolt carrier would you buy?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#8]
All but one of my carriers is GI surp (Two Colt and one Viet Nam era contract) so I have no experience w/the aftermarket brands, except for the DPMS chrome plated job is acquired a couple of months ago.  It's not quite as well machined as the others, but fit and finish in the critical areas is fine.  Juat a few more tool marks here and there than the others, and the plating looks like it was done right.

Wanted a plated job for an early style M16 lookalike project I have in mind; otherwise would have stuck w/the standard finish type.

Have heard no complaints about the other major aftermarket brands like Bushie and Rock River, but have no personal knowledge.  Maybe someone else can chime in here[:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a DPMS carrier, and it works, but it is rough. You can notice it when you cycle the action. It is VERY noticeable compared to an older Colt carrier.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
So which carrier to buy?  I want the best carrier I can get but I also want it to be as close to GI as I can get.  I'm a little weary about surplus carriers because I have heard that alot of them are rejects...

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
For what you describe, bushmaster is closest.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently purchased a new Colt Bolt Carrier Assembly and it did not have the hammer slot.  Apparently Colt is making them this way now according to the people in this forum.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy a Bushmaster M16 carrier and have it cut back a minimum amount.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Buy a Bushmaster M16 carrier and have it cut back a minimum amount.
View Quote

Can we?  I thought that Bushmaster required an FFL for M16 bolts (despite the lack of legal requirement).
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I went to the hometown section and asked who with an FFL would order it for me.  Someone did and does $10 weapon transfers too.  This person now gets all my transfer business. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:38:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Actually, it seems that EVERYONE has dropped the cutout recently, as almost every BC I've seen in the last 6 months no longer has it.  The last two uppers I got from BM don't have it either.

Now I just need to find some unnotched hammers.

-Troy
View Quote

Troy,

Been using M16 hammers w/the auto sear release tabs ground off for years. The DPMS lower I just picked up had what is clearly an A2 burst fire piece, w/o the tab. Expect you can get the unnotched hammers from them. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Actually, it seems that EVERYONE has dropped the cutout recently, as almost every BC I've seen in the last 6 months no longer has it.  The last two uppers I got from BM don't have it either.
View Quote

Actually, not *everyone* has... the new Bushmaster 16" M4 upper I just received this week has the cutaway carrier. The one I purchased several months ago had the full (uncut) carrier.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I was running a Smith Enterprise bolt and carrier set, very light weight, everything cut away. About 6 months ago I had an "out of battery" "incident"([shock]) at the range that ended up breaking the CAR receiver extension. Also the SE carrier became wedged on the hammer, destroying the hammer. Closer inspection of the carrier showed that one side of the wall of the open ramp had rounded over and chipped, the other side of the ramp is cracked along the seam where the cut away ramp meets the vertical wall.
All my carriers are now full ramp/ covered firing pin style.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I use Les Baer National Match carriers and Colt's MPC bolts in all my rifles. The weight is a hair more than an M16 carrier. A little more expensive than no name surplus, DPMS, RRA, etc, but this is just me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top