Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 12:53:37 PM EDT
The rising lurker has another question for the folks at ar15.com.

Who is selling plastic in with their parts kits?

This one need not be restricted to lower parts only, I want to know about the full monty as it were. I am aware of Bushmaster using a plastic triggerguard, but I want to know more!!!!

Is anyone else out there pushing plastic? (furniture excluded of course)

TIA,

dk9
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
HK and others are using polymers (and various "plastics"). I have no doubt others as well, including Colt. It's often cheaper, but more importantly lighter thus permitting more "stuff" on the top for the same weight as metal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Forged Aluminum is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the plastic trigger guards, I take a piece of sandpaper and knock the 90 degree corners off the trigger guard to make it nice and rounded.   I can feel the difference on days where I've been at the range for 6-8 hours, the 3 AR15s that I have all have plastic trigger guards with the edges rounded while my AR10 has a metal trigger guard with square corners.

Sorry if it was a bit off topic, it's just that it took me getting an AR10 with metal trigger guard to realize I preferred plastic with that respect.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Go Bushmaster and dont look back.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Forged Aluminum is the only way to go.
View Quote

It's interesting that not long ago this phrase could have been changed to.

Nooooo. Tempered steel all the way.

Or noooo. Iron all the way.

or nooooo. Copper all the way.

or [caveman voice] Noooo. Stone all the way[/caveman voice]

I like the aluminum too, but I'm willing to accept the material of the future when it [b]proves[/b] to be equal or superior (and hopefully cheaper).

edited because I have the grammer of a caveman, ug.

BTW no offense ZRH.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You gotta watch out for those CavArms people.  I think they use a plastic lower. [:O]

[;)]
CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the plastic trigger guards also.
If you fold down the alluminum guards to use with gloves on in the winter it is possible to break the lower receiver if you squeeze too hard. It can break where the guard attaches and pivots on the lower receiver, possibly damaging the lower receiver.
If this happens with the plastic guard, all you have to do is replace the guard instead of possibly the lower receiver.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:03:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Plastic trigger guard is a good thing.
Imagine if a metal trigger guard was hit so hard that it bent, and obstructed the use of the trigger.
That sure would suck.
Especially if one considers what environment one would be in, where such damage may occur (hint: combat).
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top