Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 12:19:17 PM EDT
I posted on another board that I had a SP1 that someone had ground off the bayonett lug before I bought it in 1978.  I was just asking why these rifles are so pricy.
A seemingly nice guy sent me an e-mail and offered to replace my barrell and sight with one from Sarco if he could have my old barrell for a project he was working on...
Aside from the possibility of getting ripped, what are the negative considerations in this arrangement?  Finish match?  Less quality barrell?  The rifle is in excellent condition except where some idiot ground the lug.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Swan- seeing your registration date and number of posts gave me quite a chuckle.  I thought I was slacking on post count!  As the the matter at hand if I were in your position I would make sure of the condition and manufacture of the replacement equipment.  Would you be purchasing the new barrel, or letting him do it?  If you got it first you could verify it is Colt, chrome, or new, depending on your expectations.  As to the color match I must say I am a color match "snob" for the safe queens.  It has taken me years to come to to grips with my unfired 1971-1972 SP-1 not having a perfect upper/lower color match.  Does it affect function- no.  But what matters is your opinion, as it must make you happy.  Even though I am picky about such superficial crap like that for safe queens, I must admit a slight color difference on a complete "part" of the rifle such as the barrel or sight tower would not garner nearly as much attention from me compared to the upper and lower receivers.  If you can check or get the parts first, and verify his reputation as a smith then go for it.  I'm sure if you post the question around here you can locate a great AR smith.  Good luck with your rifle!!!!!!  

GoGo
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldnt get rid of/sell any of the original parts. Its worth more a a complete set.

That said. You could just buy a new upper to shoot with. This place [url]www.cmmginc.com/inventory_a/uppers_tbl.html[/url] sells FN A1 uppers for $445.

Heres a pic of it.

[img]http://www.cmmginc.com/cmmg_images/tbl_images/uppers_images/Lightweight_20_A1.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top