Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/29/2003 9:33:43 AM EDT
Hello folks.

I've heard that A2 Bird cage FS does harm accuracy a little bit, compared to Vortex or Phantom. If I'm to free float a barrel, would using A2 FS cancel out the advantage gained by FFing the barrel?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:45:24 AM EDT
IIRC, the book [i]The Competative AR15[/i] stated that the main cause of lost accuracy is that the flash suppressors are torqued on too tight. Loosen it up and then snug it on, rather than really-torque-it-on-so-it-don't-fall-off-in-combat tight.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:08:47 AM EDT
I would think the duckbill A-2 comp would put some turbulence on the bullet and cause innaccuracy. I know my postbans shot a little better than my birdcage FH pre-ban. I was shooting a Vortex last weekend on a 14.5 HBAR and it was shooting 3/4inch groups. (100yds) the Vortex is king in the accuracy field.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:56:00 PM EDT
A2 comp's not a 'duckbill' - that term in this context refers to the early 3-prong type flash suppressors (and not even all of those).
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:26:54 PM EDT
If the A2 flash hider hurt accuracy, the Marine shooting team and the AMU wouldn't have them on their match service rifles ..... As stated do not over tighten the FH, snug and loctite.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:05:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tangeant: If the A2 flash hider hurt accuracy, the Marine shooting team and the AMU wouldn't have them on their match service rifles ..... As stated do not over tighten the FH, snug and loctite.
View Quote
They do NOT have the option of not having them. They shoot as issued rifles and they are required to have them, that question has been asked of them and that is their answer. Also, it was asked if they could use the older A1 style flash hiders and their response was the same, it had to be the A2 otherwise they would use them. This is one area that a post ban actually might be an advantage in that there is no flash hider to worry about being over torqued.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:01:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/31/2003 6:03:27 AM EDT by coldblue]
Too much torque on the muzzle device is not good for accuracy. My suppressors are on just a little past "hand tight", as I like to remove them without a lot of effort when testing ammo. Ammo that is, that is inherently accurate enough (i.e., 2 moa or less). to show any differences. Problem with issue A2 Flash Suppressors (that cost the gov about $3.00 or less each)is that they are not exactly round, nor is the hole down the middle round, i.e., "the bore", and the bore is probably not concentric, i.e., lined-up perfect with the rifled bore, either. Solution to this situation is: (1) buy a vortex if a "non-issue" device is acceptable. (2) if you must have the "issue look" buy one of our (I work at KAC) M4 "QD" Flash Suppressors, but these cost $50.00+. (3) or the first thing you should try is: bore out your flash suppressor until you no longer see any difference in accuracy. This is what we used to do with Match M14 Rifles that had to have the "issue" flash suppressor. ColdBlue sends...
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:28:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/31/2003 12:21:12 PM EDT by MaverickMkii]
So phantom, too, has a slight degrade in accuracy? Lots of people recommend Vortex but I don't see Phantoms anymore. (edited to add - thanks for your opinions)
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:24:56 PM EDT
"A2 comp's not a 'duckbill' - that term in this context refers to the early 3-prong type flash suppressors (and not even all of those)." I used the term Duck bill to try to clarify. The A-2 muzzle device is (I believe) A FH first and a Compensator second. However when I was in infantry school they had placemat looking things that had the parts layout (for initial familiarization with the M-16 and dissasembly/reassembly and whatever and the muzzle device on the placemat was labeled "COMPENSATOR". I really see it giving about 85% or better flash reduction and only about 20-30% muzzle rise reduction so I Still and always have thought of it as the A-2 FH/comp in that order and sometime say duckbill or "with closed bottom ports" to clarify the difference.
Top Top