Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 9:55:27 PM EDT
I took it out and shot it Sunday at the last FDCC shoot. My apologies to all the FDCC shooters. I wasnt doing very much to help out between my turn to compete, I was over at the bench breaking in the barrel. Thanks to AEM for helping with that. All in all I put 150 rounds of Black Hills 77gr blue box through it, without a hiccup. Thanks to Tommy and GA Precision for getting the ammo to me in short order at a good price. And last but not least, thanks to Wes and MSTN for so much help with getting the rifle together.

After about 30 rounds of not shooting at anything during the break in, I decided to put up a target at 50 and at least make sure I was on paper. The last 45 rounds of break in got me in at 50 and then at 100.

I let the barrel cool for the third time and sat down to see what I could do with it. The first thing I noticed is that this bi-pod sucks for bench shooting. It puts the rifle up real high and I can get in on the scope very well. Oddly enough, I always feel like I do my best shooting from prone, so I took it on to the grass. Ahhhh! Much better. From prone I was much better able to get in behind the rifle in a comfortable and solid position.

Now that I was sighted in at 100, the first thing I did from prone was see where I was hitting at 300. Once I did that, me and the owners son had a blast shooting clays at 300. He has a modified Bushmaster V-Match with an awfully nice Jewell trigger. When all the clays were gone, we had fun shooting pieces of clays.

I wanted to let the barrel cool again before I started to shoot for groups. After a little break, I hunkered down in the grass again and started shooting at a 1" orange paster on a paper plate. I shot 3 seperate groups of 5 at the same target. There were two serious fliers, one high and one low. The distance from the high to the low one was just more than 2". Aside from these two, the rest of the 13 shots were all inside 1.5".

The last thing I wanted to do was shoot a couple more 5 shot groups. One at 100 and the other at 300. Im glad I did. Both of these groups proved to be pretty cool in their own way. Nothing completely spectacular about them really, but interesting none the less. The first was at 100. Its not a particularly awe inspiring group really. Its just slightly less than 3/4" from center to center and as you can see, I still need to come about a click down. What I was stoked about was that it looks like a 3 shot group. But its 5.

The 300 yard group was equally unimpressive in that it was a good 3.5" low, but the group was pretty inspirational. Another 5 shots. 4 of which would have thrilled me at 100 yards, much less 300. But even with the 5th flier, it is still just under 2" at 300!

Finally, heres some pics of the rifle and some a few friends snapped of me while I was down there with the ants biting me! It was a fun day and I cant wait to get out there and shoot this thing some more! Sadly, it will probably be about 2 weeks before I get another opportunity

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
What I remember about Florida is those goddamn ants!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet gun Neil, it turned out great.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Less than MOA at 300 yards is nothing to
sneeze at!  [wow]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Neil, Nice set up! I'm telling Feinstein about those evil Acogs and make you give them to us!

Hey , those two fliers, was one the first shot and the other the last? Usually for me, my first shot is high and right. The way the round feeds from the mag when manually cycled? If the last was the other, usually no follow through, you come of the rifle to soon. You may see that same sort of thing with some of those pistol courses. Alot of people will throw th elast shot of the course or last shot on a target. You start doing the next before finishing the last and the weapon is not where it's supposed to be.

Mark
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice rifle indeed. Groups should get better next time out.

All your ACOG belong to us!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent results, I hope my SPR project turns out just as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#7]
On the 100 yard 15 shot group, I know one of the low fliers was the first shot of the 3rd 5 shot group. I dont know about the other one. As for the one 300 yard flier, I was working without a spotting scope, so I have no earthly idea what that flier was. I couldnt see any of the shots at that distance. I was just trying hard to hold to the same point of aim and concentrating on my fundamentals. I had to wait till we rode down range to see how I actually did. Now that I have this rig, a good spotting scope is high on the list of things I need.

If you want your rig to turn out exactly like you want... do yourself a favor and get to know Wes and Paul over a MSTN. Thats is, if you havent already. No one who you can go to to acquire something like this knows their gear like MSTN. No one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
That's one hell of a tack driver sir, very nice [beer]

Are you planning to go varmit hunting with it at all or is it just a range gun?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Hahahahahaha, if you knew me, you would know how funny that is. Needless to say, no, I wont be going hunting with it! And even if all this rifle sees is the range, I wouldnt consider it a range gun. The same goes for any of my guns. [:P]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, the Spec Ops 10.5" I got from Wes is excellent, a better shooter than I am.

When I get all my pieces together I'm hoping my Douglas SPR barrel does well with the best ammo available to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hahahahahaha, if you knew me, you would know how funny that is. Needless to say, no, I wont be going hunting with it! And even if all this rifle sees is the range, I wouldnt consider it a range gun. The same goes for any of my guns. [:P]
View Quote

So I take it you're a part of the new Mall Ninja Super Secret Florida Tactical Squad? [;)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:06:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I was suprised on the clarity of Burris' spotting scopes. I know there are others, but that's my personal experience. Usually, vertical stringers are from breathing, horizontal ones are body alignment.

Mark
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:21:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, it's not a range gun. To call this rifle a range gun is just wrong. This is one of the finest I have ever had the pleasure of shooting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah Christ. Does the term "paper punching tack driver" sound better to you? [banana]

You people damn well know what I mean by "range gun". You sound like you're trying to talk to your wife justifying purchase/ownership.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

So I take it you're a part of the new Mall Ninja Super Secret Florida Tactical Squad? [;)]
View Quote

PETA area coordinator?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe we just have different meanings for the same words. To me, a "range gun", by definition, is a gun that is built to be used on the range. A JP Enterprise custom gun, thats a range gun. You know, something that will work very well at what it does under range conditions.

I am of the opinion that this gun far exceeds that definition. Even if the only time it ever gets shot is on the range. This gun is built to withstand a lot more abuse than what I would
consider a range gun could take.

Im no militiaman, nor do I have any delusional fantasies about some forthcoming apocolypse. I dont go to the mall, and I am hardly a ninja. Im a guy who has a heck of a lot of fun shooting rifles I build, and I enjoy building rifles which are rugged and durable, yet extremely profficient and beyond capable.

This gun can be a good many things. I suppose a rane gun is one of them. But because I feel quite confident that the rifle itself can perform admirably in many other adverse conditions, I myself cant see restricting it to a "range gun".
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Ah Christ, you're worse than a lawyer [;)]

So are you planning on taking this rifle to Thunder Ranch for one of their rifle courses? I don't even know if they allow semi-autos. I think they make you use a bolt action rifle. Check out Front Sight and Gunsite as well. They may offer something similar.

It's unfortunate I don't have a 200+ yard range to go to around where I live. It's 100 yards on in, and I can't justify spending that kind of money on a SPR clone, especially if it eats expensive Black Hills ammo. A .22 is all I need for precision shooting out to 100 yards, and my new SAR-2 works fine on prarie dawg targets out to 100 yards......speaking of which, I need to print more of those out for next week [:D]

Again, nice gun sir. You should consider a Thunder Ranch course or something so you can better exploit that rifle's capabilities. You never know when Castro might invade like he did in the early 1980s. Thankfully, Chuck Norris stopped them and their communist butt buddies. I saw the highlights in "Invasion USA" [whacko] [:D]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:41:24 AM EDT
[#19]
There are, in fact, at least a few courses I would like to take with this rifle. I honestly cant think of any good reason any school would bar me from using this in any precision class they offer, but I dont doubt some might. And I have to tell you, if they did, I wouldnt want to take their class.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
. To me, a "range gun", by definition, is a gun that is built to be used on the range. A JP Enterprise custom gun, thats a range gun. You know, something that will work very well at what it does under range conditions.
View Quote

HEY, I resemble that remark!

If ANYTHING makes my JP Enterprises rifle a "range gun", it's the god almighty ever loving lead pidgeon weight of 15 pounds [B]UNLOADED[/B] that makes it seem like a range gun.

But I have used it a HELL of a lot away from the range, it is after all the Sub-MOS long range varmint rifle of doom.   "MOS" stands for Minute of Squirrel if you were wondering :)    Rifle and good loads are capable of sub-MOS out to 500 yards but shooter keeps screwing it up.   In closer I've got a pretty basic handload that's averaging 3/4 inch across multiple 10 shot groups, LOVE that rifle and that's why I will bother to haul that heavy bitch around out in the fields.

Darned thing works like a champ, have run it dry, have run it wet, have run it with crappy dirty ammo, and it just keeps on keeping on...

I just wish I had a little tighter twist barrel to shoot heavier than 75 grain bullets.

Yeah, it's still kinda range queen but that's because I've made it such an ever loving pig that makes it a bit unpractical.

Looking at your SPR project, that just crys/screams out "WALKING GUN" for doing casual walks around the property while popping vermin out to rediculous ranges.    I've been meaning to build up an accurized lighter weight gun for some time now, darn all you turds with your fancy schmancy rifles...

Oh, and new-arguy, DAMN FINE SCOPE!!!!!!

I love quality optics.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Man, you may have just named my rifle. Only one of my guns has a name, and I didnt even name it. I was thinkning if I should name this one, and I really like Walking Gun. Actually, I would sort of shorten it and call it W.G., or T.W.G. [the Walking Gun] or M.W.G. [My Walking Gun. Something like that.

Yeah, the scope is nice, but have you seen Premiere Reticle's II Gen Mildot? Its sweet. I thought really long and hard and talked to a few people I respect about getting an illuminated standard mildot, or the Gen II mildot. the Gen II mildot apparently does not come illuminated, so I had to compromise one way or the other.

In the end I felt like the advantages of the Gen II out weighed the advantages of an illuminated reticle. That and the fact that I got a really good deal on the one I got. In any case, I do really appreciate the Leup.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having my 6.5-20 Long Range done with such a mil dot but I'll probably wait and buy an 8.5-25 for putting on my 300WinMag.

It's that or I am considering a Nightforce 5.5-22x for the 300WinMag, something about 120MOA of useable elevation is really tempting with the Nightforce not to mention their optical clarity.

But Leupold mechanicals are hard to refuse.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#23]
try this place
www.tacproshootingcenter.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top