Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 12:54:05 PM EDT
A year ago when I was building my M4gery I spent weeks deciding between a RIS/RAS and the SIR.  I ultimately chose the SIR because of the cool factor (dumb, I know)and because I'd read on the WEB and in several magazines that it was being tested by the US Military and was a likely alternative for/supplement to the RIS/RAS.

A year later I have NEVER seen a single SIR in US Military use (not on the news, not in magazines, not on the web).  Am I just missing them?  Are any in use?

Thanks for the info---and if anyone wants to trade a SIR for a RAS straight-up, email me.

Will
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
i thought there was a post on here somewhere about 'SIRS in baghdad'.  i could care less if the military uses what i want.  if it looks neat and does the job i want i'm happy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The guys in that thread were not from a military unit.  They were Diplomatic Security.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info---and if anyone wants to trade a SIR for a RAS straight-up, email me.

Will
View Quote

Email sent .... Chris
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The first SIR's were issued aprox. two years ago. There are a lot in service with varoius spec ops. Photo's are not released with a lot of newer equipment, but if you watch the Jesica Lynch rescue pic's shown in NV, you will see one, plus an SPR O version over the shoulder of one of the men carrying the stretcher.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you seriously want to trade an SIR for a RAS just because you havent seen one in the news?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you seriously want to trade an SIR for a RAS just because you havent seen one in the news?
View Quote

AR-15.com: Where shooting takes a back seat to popular style!

This site is a trip. LOL
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I am suspicious that none of the SIR's except for SPR's have ever been issued.

It seems to me that arms sells more SIR's when they claim they are in use with the military.

Im sure that a photo would surface if they were in use, and I haven't seen any. They are claiming thaty Ranger units were issued SIR's and Ranger units are not anywhere near Top-Secret, or hush-hush.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Very shortly, all the typed assurances you'll need that SIRs are in full use by the elite of our elite will be posted here...trust in it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:07:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I've seen probably 100-150 U.S. Army Special Forces and Navy SEALS pictures from Iraq. I have yet to see anything other than Knights or stock Colt setups. Didn't we hear the same thing about SIRS being in widespread use in Afghanistan?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't beleive nobody linked this thread.;[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=159854]Bagdad SIR Sighting[/url]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I see no reason to link the "Bagdad SIR Sighting" thread. All it shows is the SIR being used by a non-DOD diplomatic security team ( as pointed out by Lumpy196 ). It certainly does not prove widespread use by U.S. Special Operations forces.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#13]
This is like product endorsements, I think Spec Ops guys will some day sport logos and sew on patches like the race car drivers.  When they are on TV, they should thank all their sponsors before making the statement.  Advertisements, this is got to be the ticket to get more cash infusion into the teams.  just imagine some Spec Ops guy being interviewed by Fox news "I have to thank my Cools lite/home depot SFOD-Delta team for getting the job done, it was a tough day for all of us, but in the end our team work ensure a victory for the Cools lite/home depot US army SFOD- delta team."  Pretty soon Nike will have a line of Delta Airs and SEAL airs.  

All joking aside, SIR is a good system, it may not be perfect yet, but it is still a very solid system and I will trade you a RAS for your SIR straight up any day.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will
View Quote

Email sent .... Chris
View Quote

[i]NOT[/i] straight-up ....  [:(]

.... can't say I didn't try!  [:D]

Chris
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is like product endorsements, I think Spec Ops guys will some day sport logos and sew on patches like the race car drivers.  When they are on TV, they should thank all their sponsors before making the statement.  Advertisements, this is got to be the ticket to get more cash infusion into the teams.  just imagine some Spec Ops guy being interviewed by Fox news "I have to thank my Cools lite/home depot SFOD-Delta team for getting the job done, it was a tough day for all of us, but in the end our team work ensure a victory for the Cools lite/home depot US army SFOD- delta team."  Pretty soon Nike will have a line of Delta Airs and SEAL airs.  

View Quote

LOL, ever see "Mystery Men" the movie where super heros get major endorsements?   ROTFLMAO, it could VERY well go this way with the stupid field reporting and all the reality TV shows popping up.

Is this a sign of the apocolypse?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually it HAS been tried!  I have a bud in RRD (Ranger Recon Detach) and he told me a couple of stories about the Rangers looking for products but ("hear-say" alert) there is a law on the books that doesn't allow legitimate product endorsements by ACTIVE DUTY troops BY NAME.  That is why RETIRED folks make the endorsements.  HEY, I see nothing wrong with this myself!  I can just see something akin to MARPAT except made by Nike (NIKEPAT) camoflauge!  As long as the troops get the BEST gear available AND save tax dollars!  Of course that is what is great about deployments, LOT'S of cash thrown a unit's way to buy CONTINGENCY equipment not allocated in the TO&E. (Somehow "fall's" off the books too!)
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Those guys should start sporting logos. That way, they'd pay for themselves and be able to use the best military equipment available, much like a PGA golfer uses the best clubs available.

The problem is, we wouldn't get our $2.3 trillion budget back in any way shape or form. Washington would find a way to spend it no matter what.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top