Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2003 5:21:03 PM EDT
I have been doing some research lately on what to do for my 1st build.  I am pretty sure I am going to go with a J&T kit.  I am confused as to which one exactly.  So here are some questions.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a 16" vs. a 20" or is it just cosmetic.

What is an "expedition" rifle?

Is there any reason I would need a 2 stage trigger?

If I get the 16" carbine do I have to get a fake collapsible stock or can I get a normal looking one like on the 20"

Sorry for so many questions but I'm really confused.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll answer your questions as best I can.

A 16" barrel has a shorter sight radius and a little less velocity than a 20" barrel.

A 2-stage trigger is just an adjustable match trigger used for greater accuracy. If you aren't going to be doing much shooting for extremely tight shot groups, it isn't that critical.

You can use either the fixed telestock or the normal stock on a 16" carbine.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The "Expedition" rifle has a lightweight contour barrel with integrated tac brake.
I built a J&T 16" Car kit w/A2 (standard style) stock recently. I opted for the flat-top w/detachable carry handle, standard h-bar barrel. Doesn't look as cool as the M4 style, but it gets the job done. As M4Madness said, the 16" does have a shorter sight radius than the 20", and I feel it's a disadvantage when using the 'irons' at extended ranges. Certainly, if adding optics, it becomes a moot point. The "Colt Fire Control Pack" that comes with the J&T kit provides an excellent service trigger. What ever you decide, you won't be disappointed with the quality of the J&T product. Love mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top