Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 5:45:17 PM EDT
Hello, I'm YAL (Yet Another Lurker) who is coming up for air in this gargantuan storehouse of info to make his first post. My first question:

Out of the plethora of vendors that will sell me lower parts kits, who actually knows where their products come from?

To expand: If I were to purchase a lower parts kit from Federal Arms Corp. (FAC) in MN, I would be purchasing a lower kit that was made by DPMS. If I got one from Model 1 sales, J&T, M and A parts, etc. - Where do their parts come from?

My caution is due to being exposed to quite a few opinions of board members who all seem to warn that "out of mil-spec" or "chinese" parts are bad, bad, bad, and should be avoided at all costs.

Will you help me avoid this?

Thanks in advance for your help....

PS: at this time I am not looking for a "these guys are better" response, that will be a future question...   :)
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, I've used several lower parts kits from Model 1 without any problems. The advertise that they use only US-made parts, so the "chinese" issue should not be a problem. The lower parts kits offered by DPMS, JT Distributing, Bushmaster, RRA etc. are also good.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome. [:)]

Your question is a good one, and I've found the answer that works for me is that there's not enough savings in the non-brand-name parts to justify the time spent in researching "who sells what, and where it comes from."  Bushmaster is [i]so[/i] easy to order from, and they are a known quality level.

Best of luck, and have fun!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Ellery:

Conversely, one doesn't have to go out of their way to seek out Colt/Armalite/BM for small parts; if you're at a gun show where Model 1 or JT Distributing has a booth (every one of 'em, here in IN), you'd do better to pick them up there.

Problem I have with BM is the $13.00 shipping charge they tack onto ANY order! So if I just need a couple small items, it's not economically feasible to order from them. I'd sooner go to Brownells; at least they have a wider variety of stuff I can use to "flesh out" my order. :-)

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you muchly for the input guys! Its good to have a living resource here at ar15.com.

I will begin a post in Build it yourself once I have finished my research and gathered parts for my first build. As far as lower receiver parts, I am thinking of getting just about any brand right now that has all US made parts that can save me a few bucks on the shipping if I buy other stuff as well....

Thanks again!

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
i'd get the dpms kit.  bushmaster is too expensive and have plastic trigger guards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top