Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 7:19:56 PM EDT
Have an A1 thin profile 1/12 20" GI chrome lined barrel.  Thinking of free floating and using for varmits.

With this thin barrel, will the point of impact "wander" if I put 5 rounds through it quickly?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:04:27 AM EDT
[#1]
While I really doubt that five quick shots will cause POI to wander, as a "varmint" rig the 1/12 twist severely limts your bullet choice.

Most "varmint" rigs use a faster twist allowing for the use of heavier bullets, which in turn decreases wind drift and allows for longer ranges. My long range AR is 24" stainless steel and considered slow w/ it's 1/9 twist, but will shoot red-line (custom) loaded 77 SMKs to the tune of 1/2 MOA (in good air) out to 800 yards.

Suggest ya read the Ammo Faq, tacked to the top of the "Ammunition Forum" here: [url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Since most "varmint" bullets are light--55gr or less--I wouldn't think the 1/12 twist would be a hindrance.  Besides, most varmint rifles are bolt-actions and are probably 1/12 anyway.

You might see POI shift some as the barrel heats up, but I have no idea how much or how fast you'd have to shoot for it to be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
While I really doubt that five quick shots will cause POI to wander, as a "varmint" rig the 1/12 twist severely limts your bullet choice.

Most "varmint" rigs use a faster twist allowing for the use of heavier bullets, which in turn decreases wind drift and allows for longer ranges. My long range AR is 24" stainless steel and considered slow w/ it's 1/9 twist, but will shoot red-line (custom) loaded 77 SMKs to the tune of 1/2 MOA (in good air) out to 800 yards.

Suggest ya read the Ammo Faq, tacked to the top of the "Ammunition Forum" here: [url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]

Mike
View Quote

Dude,  your on crack. Most varmit guns ar 1/12 and varmit bullets from 45 to 55 gns. 52 gn sxp is great.

GG
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:09:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Dude,  your on crack. Most varmit guns ar 1/12 and varmit bullets from 45 to 55 gns. 52 gn sxp is great.
GG
View Quote

Only if you don't intending taking shots over 2-3 hundred yards as none of the prarie-dog, "varmint" hunters I know, use such a combination
Sorry but your post is [bs].

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to the maufacturer that makes this "sxp" bullet, as I can't find them searching the net.

By the way here's the range I regularly shoot on, off the back porch at the farm, what's the farthest ya've shot this 1/12 "varmint rig", GG?

My dads' custom Krieger 223 Rem. 700 bolt rifle is 1/7.75 twist, which is much more in line w/ the twist rates of current production "varmint rigs".

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=1364[/img]

Mike
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#5]
VERY, VERY nice backyard play area. How do you get across the water to paste shot holes?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
VERY, VERY nice backyard play area. How do you get across the water to paste shot holes?
View Quote

4 wheeler around the ponds, (we have 2) and as we're shooting steel a couple cans of Krylon, (white for background, yellow for bull) fixes the targets right up.... Thanks, it's very nice, we even have a shooting shed w/ a shorter 1, 2 & 300 yard range.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm afraid I'm not a good judge of distances.  What are your yardages to the targets in the photo?  Thanks.  Oh, and that's a very nice place you've got there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm afraid I'm not a good judge of distances.  What are your yardages to the targets in the photo?  Thanks.  Oh, and that's a very nice place you've got there.
View Quote

This is view from the back porch at farm, which belonged originally to my great grandparents, infact dad's house sets where my great grand-maws house was, nice view ain't it....

the box is at 25 yards, for boresighting
stump is 100 yards
200 yards
300 yards kindof hard to see, front edge of pond
400 yards to the pond dam
525 yards to the big pile o dirt, (most off the shelf "stock" rifles rarely can make this range (accurately/MOA), hence the big dirt pile)
625 yards
700 yards
800 yards last one before the trees

Thanks,
Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top