Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 6:44:46 PM EDT
I seem to recall reading some time ago on AR15.com about a one-piece spiral gas ring.  Does anyone know of or have any experience with such an animal and who makes/sells them?  I have a broken gas ring that I am assuming is causing my recent double and misfeed problems and would like to replace the standard rings with an improved version if such a thing is available.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I just installed one on my Bushy that was giving me the same problem.  I'll report back after a test fire.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You're both referring to the McFarland one-piece gas ring, designed to prevent accelerated gas blow-by in the event that the gas ring spaces should become aligned. Its utility has been debated, though it seems to be a legitimate method of preventing the aformentioned event from occuring, even if it never does (or has) on your AR.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been running them in my uppers for the past yr. & half, and they function flawlessly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I got mine from Mark Budam at Triple Break Products.

[url]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/ar11b.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, guys - esp. Redbone.  I appreciate the info.  Order placed and magic ring on the way (along with some other cool goodies).
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:18:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I've bought the McFarland rings from Olympic Arms, DPMS, and Armalite.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Ask DragracerArt about his experiences with McFarland rings!  They do sometimes cause more problems than they cure.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Unnecessary.

Regular gas rings work just fine.  

I don't bother spacing my gaps nicely, I just make sure they aren't directly lined up.  We've had people purposely line them up and they still work.

I've also got probably 14k on a set of rings and they are still going strong.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I've used the 3 ring type for some time now and they work flawlessly, i even suspect they have solved problems that have not occurred![;D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top