Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2003 6:38:13 PM EDT
I have a colt 7.62x39 upper with barrel marked c mp 7.62x39 1/12 H Bar. What do i need to do to convert this to .223? I believe it is preban.Any help is appreciated
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Just pull the barrel off the upper and replace it with a 5.56 barrel.  If you also have the 7.62 bolt in it, you'll have to swap the bolt over too, but the bolt carrier assy is interchangable.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
There are no pre-ban uppers, only rifles or lowers.  

Your best solution is to swap the entire upper receiver, I'm sure there are folks who'd love a 7.62x39 marked barrel and upper.  Be sure you don't create an illegal semiautomatic assault weapon if this rifle isn't a legal one.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not just have a complete 223 upper? swap uppers, all done... 7.62 on 1 day, 223 the next.

Don't forget the magazine for 223/556.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
where is the best place to pick up a new upper receiver asembly?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
www.model1sales.com   www.jtdistributing.com
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go with a Bushmaster complete upper preban assembly (flash suppressor, bayonet lug):

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/pre-ban/Default.asp[/url]

Just make sure your lower (Colt? Bushmaster? Olympic? PWA?) is indeed a preban (check the serial number), and that it was a complete rifle prior to the ban.

If you have a Colt lower, then you might want a Colt upper receiver group, but those get pretty pricey.  Specialized Armament Warehouse (SAW) has those:

[url]http://www.sawlesales.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Post in the Wanted to Trade in EE forums. Someone will definately take you up on a swap in no time at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top