Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/8/2003 1:13:17 PM EDT
I'm very seriously considering purchasing the Bushmaster “VARMINTER”, 24" Barrel, model PCWVMS 24FVAR9. Primary use is varmint and coyote hunting in Arizona. Also considering equipping with a Zeiss Scope.
Zeiss Conquest, 6.5-20 X 50mm
Any comments or opinions? --RR
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:03:56 PM EDT
I have three of them, 2 Regular & 1 A2/DCM, custom built by Bushmaster. Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR M3, A.R.M.S. #19A (not ACOG) & #21 STANAG Rings. You will be very happy with this rifle. I have had [b]GREAT Luck[/b] shooting Nosler 55 grn. BTs. [img]photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=568[/img] [img]photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=553[/img] [img]photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=554[/img]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:35:26 AM EDT
Mine is a very nice rifle, easily subMOA with factory and handloads. Very nice fit and finish. My minor complaint is that my Bushmaster's 2 stage trigger is not consistent; "mushy" if you will. It shoots great despite my trigger. I think you will like the rifle. Mine is topped with a Leupold VXII 6-18x40.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:06:46 AM EDT
Beautiful pics and beautiful hardware. From everything I've heard my choice of the Varminter is sound. Okay please excuse my lack of familiarity with scope mounting hardware but I just want to make sure I understand all of this. Are you using the stock B.M. risers? When you say ..."A.R.M.S. #19A (not ACOG)"... are you referring to the mount that locates on top of the risers? This will sound really lame but can you interpret the acronyms for me? I take it ..."#21 STANAG Rings"... are the clamps fastened to the mount and holding the scope tube? If I understand it correctly there are 5 separate components in this configuration. Would there be any advantage in machining a one piece unit that functions as riser, mount and lower "ring" halves? I ask because I'm an Engineer and also run a machine shop in which we have full CNC machining capability. I can design, fabricate and anodize just about anything I need. Would there be an advantage in a one piece unit or would you loose flexibility? Thanks for any feedback. --RR
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:26:52 AM EDT
Just when I was beginning to settle on the Varminter I discovered a couple other options. The Armalite M15A4(T) 24" and the Colt Accurized 24" rifle. Any opinions? What's the best varmint rifle??? --RR
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:50:33 PM EDT
Varminter
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:33:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2003 1:36:55 PM EDT by GI_Brat]
Originally Posted By the1_roadrunner: Beautiful pics and beautiful hardware. From everything I've heard my choice of the Varminter is sound. Okay please excuse my lack of familiarity with scope mounting hardware but I just want to make sure I understand all of this. Are you using the stock B.M. risers? [red]Yes[/red] When you say ..."A.R.M.S. #19A (not ACOG)"... are you referring to the mount that locates on top of the risers? This will sound really lame but can you interpret the acronyms for me? [red]Yes, the rings are a separate component. A.R.M.S.= Atlantic Research Marketing System, the manufacture. Here is a picture of an ACOG[/red] [img]www.armsmounts.com/images/19ACOG.JPG[/img] I take it ..."#21 STANAG Rings"... are the clamps fastened to the mount and holding the scope tube? [red]The rings attach to the 19A with screws from the bottom[/red] If I understand it correctly there are 5 separate components in this configuration. Would there be any advantage in machining a one piece unit that functions as riser, mount and lower "ring" halves? I ask because I'm an Engineer and also run a machine shop in which we have full CNC machining capability. I can design, fabricate and anodize just about anything I need. Would there be an advantage in a one piece unit or would you loose flexibility? Thanks for any feedback. --RR [red] I hear people are going with the Armalite one piece mount vs. the Bushmaster mini risers. It's all about personal preference. [/red] [img]www.armalite.com/shared/images/armalite_scope_mount.gif[/img] Just when I was beginning to settle on the Varminter I discovered a couple other options. The Armalite M15A4(T) 24" and the Colt Accurized 24" rifle. Any opinions? What's the best varmint rifle??? --RR [red] IMHO..go with the Bushmaster![/red]
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:53:09 PM EDT
I went with the Bushmaster because the trigger was better than the Colt 24" Accurized I handled at the local gun shop. I have not felt the "mushy" trigger others have described, but I'm still in the break-in period with the Bushmaster. So far, it's awesome accuracy and am quite pleased with it. Here is a shot of it with the 1 piece Armalite mount and a Leupold LR M1 4-14.5 x 50. [img]http://www.fototime.com/5B90BCD108AB2CB/standard.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.fototime.com/B373C8ADC635CF0/standard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:10:47 AM EDT
Sounds like Bushmaster is definitely the favorite here. I haven't received much feedback on the Zeiss scope. 88balanced, nice set-up, I like the simplicity of the Armalite mount. I notice your scope is positioned quite a bit lower than GI_Brat's. Any advantage/disadvantage or is this simply personal preference? --RR
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:48:04 AM EDT
This is my next rifle. I like both setups. I have an ARMS #5 mount I originally bought for my FAL. I think I'll try it on this rig and if I don't like it, I'll get the Armalite one.
Top Top