Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/3/2003 10:51:12 PM EDT
OK, I've decided my 2001 LEGP is going to get a SIR for it's Birthday.

Only problem is, which one?

If I bu the bi-level, it seems my current AKO sight will be able to mount forward and at the same height it is now - is that correct?

If I were to later put an Aimpoint ML2, will the ARMS throw level mount mount it at the right height - or will I need to elevate it higher?

Finally, can I get some opinions about mounting a compact ACOG on the SIR - primaril in reagrds to the height it sits - it seems like it would sit just right, but I would like input from those who have played with it.

Thanks - I tried searching, but I have been reading threads now for an hour and my eyes can't take it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:35:22 AM EDT
I really think the ARMS #50 SIR is the way to go. Thats the slimline Bi-level SIR. If you mount an Aimpoint on the lower half of the rail (which I would recommend) just use the ARMS #22M68 with the spacer. Then you are at the tight level. I have lots of experience mounting full size ACOGs to SIRs, but none with Comp ACOGs. When you mount a full size ACOG to a SIR, it does sit a little high. Now, some people hate this because you dont get a *true* cheek weld. Other people sont mind it at all, and some people like it for a more "heads-up" shooting style which helps when you are in a CQB, fast paced, and/or fluid shooting environment. For the record, I use a TA31 on a ARMS #19S on a ARMS #45 SIR. This is about the highest way you can mount an ACOG without actually mounting it to the carry handle. Needless to say, I love it. Im not 100% sure, but I do believe the Comp ACOGs *may* sit a little lower than the full size ACOGs. If so, then you will probably have your choice of mounting it low enough to get a good cheek weld, or, using a little higher mount and going with the heads-up style mount. Either way, you'll have a great set up and you will not be disapointed. I would definately go with the new optic. If not now, eventually. I think the 2001 LEGP with a SIR deserves some better, more rugged glass. Just an opinion.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:09:44 AM EDT
Thanks for your input - I think I will be releasing myself the funds for this by the end of the month - I want to make sure I buy the right one for my current and future needs. Did you see this other thread (erhhh... "post") I started? I am getting a bit confused over the butt stock issue - do you have any experience there? [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=158980&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Top Top