Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2003 11:32:53 AM EDT
www.ar47.com/index.html

edited to add:
did a search, found only one other topic which had no link.
since, surfing, found 3 other topics! oh well, just trying to help.
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the link!

I like it!

Too pricey for me, though... [:(]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:07:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone out here actually seen one of these things in the flesh or built a complete rifle using one of these lowers. I'd be interested to see some reveiws of it. Is it worth the $325.00 asking price. Are the upper/carrier mods easy or difficult (I have a mill). Or is this a total POS and not worth the effort. Come on guys, lets hear some feedback.

Just curious because I think I may be coming into a complete 7.62 upper.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Who/what are the infamous "special weapons"?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't believe no one has seen and/or used one of these things, If it is actually in production yet.

Looking at "Special Weapons" site, they don't make any reference to an AR receiver that accepts AK mags, or make mention of Michaels Machines. I guess I'll have to contact them to find out what the dealer prices are, and the extent of the modifications neccesary to the upper and carrier.

C'mon guys, no input experiance with this.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have seen, felt and handled one at Knob Creek. Very nice! Ask away (also email me with any questions if you have any)
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have seen, felt and handled one at Knob Creek. Very nice! Ask away (also email me with any questions if you have any)
View Quote

Well, tell us about it.  How did it shoot?

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, tell us about it.  How did it shoot?

View Quote

I was at Knob Creek and I don't believe the one there was even fired. In fact, I didn't even know that it was there until I saw a post about it a few days after the event.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#10]
They did not shoot them at Knob Creek. Michael Otte the guy from Michaelsmachines was walking around with it and I happened upon him. He had posted on sturmgewehr he would be there with it and I looked. I will be able to give you a report on how they shoot soon though as now I have my own lower in my hot little hands. I have already assembled the lower and it went together with no problems at all, everything fit perfectly. I am now waiting on an upper I ordered as I did not want to modify the M4 upper I had.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't work for KAC and in fact, I don't even own any of their products, but I did take a good look at their AK-47 magazine using M4 at the 2002 Shot Show.  They said they couldn't fit an AK magazine in a standard length lower and make it work.  Both the upper and lower had to be about 1/4" longer in order to work.  Since they were working to sell a bunch of guns to the military and this killed the deal, I'm extremely sceptical that Todd Bailey could have figured out a reliable design where KAC could not.  Just add me to the "not my money, not my rifle" crowd.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Although I might regret asking this, just how hard is it to screw up a stripped lower?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#13]
A lot easier then you may think. Virtually everything on the lower has to be within a few thousandths of its design specifications.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm basically wondering how the lug on the front of an AK mag sits in the front of the receiver. On every AK magazine I've ever seen, the lug is made out of steel. Even the bakelite / polymer ones have a steel insert at this point to keep them from wearing out. I would hope that this receiever has a steel insert or something at that point to keep it from wearing out prematurely. If not, given enough loading / unloading cycles the magazine is sure to wear the receiver to the point of it becomeing junk. $325.00 junk I might add.

Hey Marauder, fill us in with some technical info. Oh, did they also give you any detailed instructions (includeing any measurements) on how to properly modify your upper and bolt carrier.

Wpns Man  
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#15]
On the point in the lower where the front lug of the ak mag pivots on is a tool steel(that is what they told me) insert to prevent the kind of wear you are describing. They did not give specifics with the lower in regards to machining. They said they will bo posted soon. In comparing the lower to a normal upper, I did not think there would be enough "meat" left on the upper after widening for the ak mag. I am talking about the wall below the ejection port door. I opted instead to buy a dpms low pro upper that has about 4 times the wall thickness of a normal upper. I have sent this to them for machining as well as the bolt carrier. I was going to do it myself but with the lower they send a form that says they will machine both the upper and bolt carrier, test fire it and send it back for $75. Didn't seem out of line as I don't have access to a mill and the time involved. They also told me that in about 4 months they will have an upper just for this purpose at the cost of what a normal upper would run(around $90). So far I have nothing to complain about as I have had no problems getting questions answered and help when needed. I also would not let the published price keep you from buying one. I had my dealer call it it was quite a bit less expensive.  YMMV
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to put one of these together also. Do you think we need to use a chrome lined barrel for reliability when using cheap russian laquered steel case ammo?

I currently own a SW5(9mm), a SW45(45) and I have their new SW52 (7.62x39) on the way. I have nothing but good things to say about these guns....My $0.02
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't work for KAC and in fact, I don't even own any of their products, but I did take a good look at their AK-47 magazine using M4 at the 2002 Shot Show.  They said they couldn't fit an AK magazine in a standard length lower and make it work.  Both the upper and lower had to be about 1/4" longer in order to work.  Since they were working to sell a bunch of guns to the military and this killed the deal, I'm extremely sceptical that Todd Bailey could have figured out a reliable design where KAC could not.  Just add me to the "not my money, not my rifle" crowd.
View Quote

What does KAC have a corner on the brain trust?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top